• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sawdust

@Debs111

Banned
How many people here use sawdust?

I dont, I stopped as soon as I heard how bad it was for my rasts (about 2weeks after getting them)...I immediately changed them and all my other animals (includong Pepsi) onto ecopetbed (chopped cardboard).

I use woodshavings that are dust extracted. I can't really use anything else for ym angoras as they get it caught in their hair no matter how short you cut it and it's not fair on them. My other buns are on woodshavings with hay on top.

I use Wood shavings for the rabbits out doors, Newspaper for the house bun, Rats , Hamster and Chins!

SAWDUST is particularily bad for rats as they are much more prone to repiratory problems than other small animals.

DUST EXTRACTED WOOD SHAVINGS should be ok for rabbits.

@Debs111 said:
Why do you use sawudst outside then? Its still going to effect their respirotory problems.

Wood Shavings doesn't create as much dust and doesn't have as much resin residue as sawdust there for isn't as bad for the resp systems as the dust, it also doesn't afect them in a well ventilated area, As my buns are outside and not comfined to ther hutches at any piont they don't get the problems some animals could. Also Rabbits do not sit with there noses and mouths so close to the floors of the hutches so again do not inhale so many of the nastys which can be carried in Sawdust.

@Debs111 said:
OK Then :) I'm very anti-sawdust since hearing how bad it is for rats. But thats just me!

But remember Sawdust and wood shavings are different, entirly different and rabbits are not as suseptable to resp props as rats or guinea pigs XX

Im a very anti-sawdust, anti-woodshavings type of person :wink: Not only can it cause problems with the respiratory system (for any animal, not just rats :wink: ) it can also dry out the skin. If you rub some in your hands you will feel how dry your hands are. I used to use Megazorb but recently changed over to Ecobed and am very happy with it. Its cheaper than shavings and much better for them :thumb:

What's Ecobed Cheryl?
How much and where do you get it from - I currently use Megazorb but it is a bit of a nightmare to get hold of - usually have to stock up whilst in Peterborough visiting the folks - nearby stables is a bit unreliable.

Towsbuns said:
What's Ecobed Cheryl?
How much and where do you get it from - I currently use Megazorb but it is a bit of a nightmare to get hold of - usually have to stock up whilst in Peterborough visiting the folks - nearby stables is a bit unreliable.

http://www.ecobed.co.uk/

I get it direct from the manufacturers as they are only 20 minutes drive away from me. I started using it a couple of weeks ago. It only costs me £4.23 for a bale the size of a bale of shavings :D . I have found the guinea pigs seem a lot dryer when I clean them out than they were with the megazorb. Definate thumbs up here :D

sgprescue said:
Towsbuns said:
What's Ecobed Cheryl?

http://www.ecobed.co.uk/

I get it direct from the manufacturers as they are only 20 minutes drive away from me. I started using it a couple of weeks ago. It only costs me £4.23 for a bale the size of a bale of shavings :D . I have found the guinea pigs seem a lot dryer when I clean them out than they were with the megazorb. Definate thumbs up here :D

i just rang and they only sell direct :shock: well to essex :cry: anyway so if you can by 26 bales your laffing if not then no can do! :cry:

sgprescue said:
Im a very anti-sawdust, anti-woodshavings type of person :wink: Not only can it cause problems with the respiratory system (for any animal, not just rats :wink: ) it can also dry out the skin. If you rub some in your hands you will feel how dry your hands are.

Ditto. I used to have wood shaving. I can't stand my rabbit has to breathe thru that. I use it at the very beginning (8 yr. ago) when I don't know much about bunnies. In fact, I have to breathe thru that when I went to my bunny's room. I'm glad those days are over.

I also have my suspicion regarding the wood shaving smell too. I see no reason any rabbit should breathe those smell in and out 24 hr. a day. Whatever those smell is, it can't compare to Clean Air.

Back