• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what shall i do help please!

inka dinka doo

Alpha Buck
hey guys as some of you know i have six bunnies Jack, beebee, rupert, inka dinka, lamb and mospy, well i have just be accepted for my 3 year course at uni so i will be working and studying with no days off i also have a horse so all my animals take up all my time well now as i will not be around im worried as i wont have the same amount of time for them and i dont know what to do i will have half the money i do now and im considering weather it woould be best to rehome 4 of them as i cannot rehome jack due to medical reasons and he has a girlfriend so i would have to rehome my other 4 all my buns are like my children and i love them all so much this is such a hard desision but i need some advice on what to do!

Awwwwwwwwwwwww Tanya what a difficult choice you have to make I wouldnt want to be in your shoes, but I totally understand about the amount of time and cash your babies take up!!!! Its a tough one :cry:

Awwwwwwwwww and well done for going to uni :wink: :wink: :wink:

What ever you decide i'm sure it will be the right one xxxxxx

Sorry i'm not mutch help!!!!
Alixxxxxxxx

I live near camberley so not far from you, if you do decide to re home some then i would consider taking them and then when you did have free time you could come visit? the offer is there. :D

awww young bunny thats very lovely of you its poss i might take u up on the offer i am in such a worry and i think i want them to be happy and if that means with new people im thinking of them and their happyness
:cry:

Hi Tan, I will take Rupert back if you decide, I certainly understand and you really do have a tough decision to make.
Take care
Kayx

i was gonna pm you about rupert i cried when he came and sat with me earlier i told him that i loved him and i wanted him to stay with me forever im unsure weather to keep him as he is indoors and he has free range and normally amuses himself lol :lol: ive never had to make a decision as bad as this before i will keep you posted thank you kay xxx

Well done for going to uni, but there are a lot of choices that have ot be made I suppose :(

Just think it over the best you can, and dont make any quick decisions. You dont want to regret anything :D

Good luck and let us know!

Leah

Well done on your course!

Why don't you start the course and see how you get on time/money wise?

I'm a 'mature' student at uni- in uni 3 days a week, work 2-3 days so I know it's hard, but if you do want to give it a try before giving them up...

If your bunns are in pairs then they'll have each other for company, and as long as you find the time to put them out in runs, check for fly eggs etc then it should be fine.

As for the money, could you possibly save some now? And there's always the student loan :wink:

However, you're doing what's best for them if you are going to struggle to find the time/money so don't feel bad about it x

Hiya
I've just graduated and have gained 4 rabbits going through uni lol since the second yr. As I was in for a maximum of 12 hrs per week it wasn't too bad, money was the hardest. Even when your doing work at home though you can have your rabbits running around thats what I did they alternated in my room. Even on a student budget rabbit expensive are tiny compared to going out nites !!!
I take your living at home? I have all mine though in a student house two outside and two inside as i have a huge room. Can't wait to have my own place now tho. See how you go don't make any rash decisions you might regret it.

Do you really need to re-home? I have 12 of my own buns, 13 temporaries (including 8 babies), a gerbil, a horse, one full-time (demanding) job, & a part-time job, & I'm also studying, do various bun runs, go to the gym & classes 3 times a week, & have a pretty good social life. I'm not saying it isn't hard sometimes, but you will be amazed what you can fit in a day.

Also - would it be possible to bond into groups? My group-bonds are a God-send sometimes.

Hiya I'm at uni as well, jst finished first year, and I have no probs with mine. You'll be surprised how little time u actually spend in lectures etc when u get thr. I do 4 subjects a term, which means I'm in for 10hrs a week, spaced out at a few hours a day, with at least 1 week day off. Uni is far more fcused on self study at home, with your lectures giving u the basics. That way, u'd be at home wi the bunnies most of the time? I;m sure they wouldn't mind that u had a book with u, or visited them during study breaks? I also work 2 days per week, and find that between my student loan and part time wages I'm better off then than I am when I'm working full time.

I think as long as they have company then they will be ok with the extra time without you, as long as they have each other. the 1 who's a house bun, does he have a friend? if not I'd consider getting him 1 or trying to bond him with sum of ur others...

At the end of the day it's ur decision and it's a tough 1 I don't think i could do it, but jst thought if I explained tht it is possible, it may help. :)

Thats very true about the hours Lucy....mine's 16 hours a week, but its just unfortunate that my campus is in the middle of the countryside, 40 minutes from home so i have no choice but to stay all day...its most annoying!

Inka, i think if you want to keep them then the best thing would maybe be just see how it goes- you may be suprised how well you cope with it.
I foster and at different times I've had up to 8 animals in at once but you just kind of juggle things around. And when you're needing to do essays you'll be home with them anyway. x

inka dinka doo said:
hey guys as some of you know i have six bunnies Jack, beebee, rupert, inka dinka, lamb and mospy, well i have just be accepted for my 3 year course at uni so i will be working and studying with no days off i also have a horse so all my animals take up all my time well now as i will not be around im worried as i wont have the same amount of time for them and i dont know what to do i will have half the money i do now and im considering weather it woould be best to rehome 4 of them as i cannot rehome jack due to medical reasons and he has a girlfriend so i would have to rehome my other 4 all my buns are like my children and i love them all so much this is such a hard desision but i need some advice on what to do!

I work full time, study part-time, run my own company (dog training club) in my spare time and still find time to train my own dogs for competition and look after 8 rabbits and lots of other furries. :D

If your rabbits are bonded it won't matter if you don't have as much time anymore for them as long as you keep the husbandry and feeding regime up properly. Money is a worry, but I reckon it can be done by budgeting carefully! :wink:

Vera

thanks guys ur help has been great! i live with my partner and have my morgage to pay and im gonna lose half my money so i will be living on bare bones :shock: but i will have them over the summer and i will try and save althou i normally have very little spare money :lol: but i have curbed my spending since moving, i may see how it goes and if i get into a tizz i will make a decision i think im a bit rubbish at time management and i work 12hr shifts in my job so im away for a long time when i am, group bonding sounds fab! mine are mostly paired but they still fight so i cant leave them while im out its gonna take me a long time to get there i just hope i can do it :lol: thank you guys

I'm a uni student too, the hardest side of it is the money, giving up a full-time salary was very tough, but I've managed to keep paying the rent and other bills!

I don't find it too bad time wise, I was at uni 3 days a week this year, but will be there 4 days I think from September. Although I am expecting my particular course to become much more demanding now, the first year is always easy! Eek!

I do only have 2 buns, I can fully understand that 6 buns is hard work! I would have thought though, and my own personal opinion, is that maybe the horse would be the one to go, please don't be offended by this, but as I am also a horsey person, I know the costs and time required to keep a horse are huge! I would suggest that maybe you could then see how you get on with the bunnies! My top tip for studying is that bunnies are great for cuddling during times of exam stress!!!

Good luck with your course, its a big decision to make to do it, especially if you are a 'mature' student! I went through it all last summer!

My bunnies were the only things keeping me sane through the final year as its tough and my housemates were a nightmare. You learn to save money and put it aside as you go through uni. I'm sure it'll be fine give it time you need to get into it first.
Good luck x

inka dinka doo said:
thanks guys ur help has been great! i live with my partner and have my morgage to pay and im gonna lose half my money so i will be living on bare bones :shock: but i will have them over the summer and i will try and save althou i normally have very little spare money :lol: but i have curbed my spending since moving, i may see how it goes and if i get into a tizz i will make a decision i think im a bit rubbish at time management and i work 12hr shifts in my job so im away for a long time when i am, group bonding sounds fab! mine are mostly paired but they still fight so i cant leave them while im out its gonna take me a long time to get there i just hope i can do it :lol: thank you guys

I know what you mean about the money, I must admit it is a real struggle. I have a mortgage, have to pay tuition fees and do not get any help from anyone- my boyfriend and I still pay half of everything, so I basically have the student loan and my wages from 2-3 shifts a week to live off.

On a brighter note though, I do just about manage! (with the help of a credit card :wink: ) :)

Back