• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

BRC Rings - How to get them off?

anon101

Banned
Hi Folks,

Bruce my French Lop has got a BRC ring on. It doesn’t seem to bother him at all but I would rather it were off.

How do you get them off? Would a pair of side cutters do the job or will a vet need to do it with something a bit more heavy duty?

It looks mighty tuff! :lol:

Louise

some of them just pull off i know helgas did, havent tried with thema though as they forgot to take it off when she was being neutered :roll: if you are careful otherwise i thik they vets do it preferable when being neutered!

We cut Barneys off with side cutters, when we first got him, I held him and my partner cut the ring off, it was done with one cut.

Barney was still little so there was room to get the cutters in, but I think it would be best to get the vet to do it :wink:

Steve has just had a look at the ring and he said he wouldn’t want to do it himself, as there is very little room to get some side cutters in. Will be nipping Bruce down to the vets next week to let the pro's snip it off. :wink:

Thanks for the replies. :D

Louise

ellepotter said:
Steve has just had a look at the ring and he said he wouldn’t want to do it himself, as there is very little room to get some side cutters in. Will be nipping Bruce down to the vets next week to let the pro's snip it off. :wink:

Thanks for the replies. :D

Louise

if its not causing any problemss loiuse leave it, it wont hurt being left there!

ellepotter said:
I don’t like it on Eve. It seems invasive to the Rabbit.

Louise

I was always worried that Barney would get it caught on something in the garden while he was running about, thats why we cut it off!!!!!

Hiya :) I feel it is better to remove the rings if possible, as bunnies can catch them on things when running around :?
We always get the vet to do the deed though as you are right that it is a bit risky attempting it yourself, with the bunnies skin being in close proximity to any cutters.
Our latest rescue angora has a ring on, and that will be removed by vet next week when Mauna has her vaccination.
Best wishes

rings

Hi :) I get my vet to take rings off :) I would get it taken off as I once had a bunny from a breeder :( he was a cashmere & i was given him because the owner had arthritis & found it hard to groom him :( when I was trying to get the tangles out of his coat I found he had a ring embedded in his leg :shock: :( the skin had grown over it & I had to rush him in to the vets & get it taken off :shock:

Always get a vet to do this....apart from the chance of catching the skin there is also the chance of breaking a rabbits bones in the leg when you apply pressure to cut through the ring...I always have them removed from the rescue buns as I do not agree with them being on in the first place..dangerous things :(

Back