• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another EC question

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
This is taken from an email group,

Hello all,
Has anyone had problems with their bunny having poor balance and weeing themself? My rabbit has lost weight despite a good appetite. The poor balance was mild and over some weeks (as an outside rabbit) i noticed his back legs were getting wobbly. The fur around his bottom and legs were wet with wee.
The vet thought he had worms cause of the weight loss and said he was weak and wobbly. I dont think thats the case.
He was wormed using piperazine - a rabbit wormer but i have heard of people using ivermectin too especially in cases of poor balance/head tilt and hindquarter paresis (partial paralysis) due to E cuniculi or other (protozoan) infections.

Do you think worming using piperazine and ivermectin is an effective regime?
Ivermectin seems to be a good "allrounder".
What form of ivermectin do you prefer using - paste or liquid and in what dosages over time?
I think he is weeing himself because of this partial "paralysis" of his hindquarters. Would this satisfactorily address the paresis and incontinence in the absence of bacterial infection?
I think i need another vet.
Any advice or similiar experiences ?????

Can anyone help?

Gem said:
This is taken from an email group,

Hello all,
Has anyone had problems with their bunny having poor balance and weeing themself? My rabbit has lost weight despite a good appetite. The poor balance was mild and over some weeks (as an outside rabbit) i noticed his back legs were getting wobbly. The fur around his bottom and legs were wet with wee.
The vet thought he had worms cause of the weight loss and said he was weak and wobbly. I dont think thats the case.
He was wormed using piperazine - a rabbit wormer but i have heard of people using ivermectin too especially in cases of poor balance/head tilt and hindquarter paresis (partial paralysis) due to E cuniculi or other (protozoan) infections.

Do you think worming using piperazine and ivermectin is an effective regime?
Ivermectin seems to be a good "allrounder".
What form of ivermectin do you prefer using - paste or liquid and in what dosages over time?
I think he is weeing himself because of this partial "paralysis" of his hindquarters. Would this satisfactorily address the paresis and incontinence in the absence of bacterial infection?
I think i need another vet.
Any advice or similiar experiences ?????

Can anyone help?

Could possibly be a problem with the Kidneys or a nasty urinary infection. The underlaying cause may well be EC but its hard to say without testing. I would say run a blood and urine test first to check kidney function. As a precaution if EC is suspected put on a 28 day course of panacur puppy/kitten liquid at a dose of 0.2ml per kg per day. Even if its not EC the course of panacur wont do him any harm.

Back