• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cages

ljs383

Warren Scout
Hi everyone I was just wondering how often you buy a new cage? My two seem to be biting their way through the one I bought them in Feb plus it looks like some of the tacks are coming through the wood. Its hard to know what will make a good cage as this one is recommended by RWA but the one I had before was better.

Thanks

Lynda

I've mainly got dog crates with metal trays instead of cages - no chance of ever biting through... I don't expect to have to buy new ones for the next century or so... :lol:

me too..although weve bought a new one off ebay..rottweiler sized! think that should do the trick!!

we originally had the large dog crate from argos..but for a tenner more we got the massive one for wickle oscar and his missus bif and their huge litter tray..assortment of cuddly toy "babies" and rattles etc with plenty of room for them both..mind you i had to raise the floor up on blocks from under the tray and put a jump ramp outside for his wickle weggies.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bif on other hand..clears i with one little bounce..no effort!

i used to have the plastic type cage..see through plastic top with gris lid and solid plastic deep base..it was like a freezer in the winter and a furnace in the summer and to leave bun running loose meant propping up mosnter lid!
Next cage was a wire with plastic base..
dog crates win hands down and are cheaper!

What sort of cage do you have? my ferplast cage i had when i only had Simba had metal bars on the top so he couldnt eat his way out.. now i have a dog crate and metal playpen so again nothing they can eat

mine was critter zoo i think..got it from pampurred pets 4 or 5 years ago and its been passed onto my niece whos bunny promptly smashed the plastic with a hefty kick..um i think that should read her little brother..not her rabit but they wont admit it!
The other cage was very similar to a ferplast one..it was a savic one..again from p pets 2 and a half years ago..
oh the ingenuiety of making something to cover the bars to avoid injury!!
thats why i love the doggy crate! Although this ones got a metal bottom..the one from argos has a plastic one and amattress! oscar developed sore hocks from skidding across the rug on the metal tray..solution..put the way too small mattress in the bit he jumps in and out of and in and out the litter tray..and they sleep with the cuddly toys who are sitting all the way along in the dip! I did see matresses to fit on ebay..but ive lost the darned make..i need to find it ready for winter..when i find it ill let you know!

Hutches I buy new ones when they seem to be falling appart... not litrally, just bits like wobbling, or if the hindges go... Indoor cages I've never had to replace :D

My hutch is an outside one bought from Pets @ Home but is recommended by RWA. I'm just unsure what to buy next!

Thanks for replying

Lynda

I replace my hutches yearly, by then they have chewed quite a bit of their stairs and walls :roll:

Back