• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

major *rant*

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
:evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil:

Those of you that board, assuming you had the space to keep them together, would you board three unspayed females :?:

Would you board four females and two neutered males that live in a group together :?:

Stupid local boarder won't take my three females or even my group of six, I understand she may not have space which is why they can go in two groups of three.

This happens to be the email she sent me, if she had read my original mails she would know I have no un-neutered males in my group, would I be that stupid with a couple of unspayed females :?: :roll:

I have just spoken to a helpline at the Rabbit Association to find out about wether I am doing the right thing in not boarding your rabbits, and unfortunately they agree. They don't really think the combination you have is a very good one, especially as all female and males should be spayed/neuted as it is unfair on the un-neutered rabbits. Any un-neutered male rabbits will pester the female rabbits all the time, and any un-neutered females will be hormonal and they could attack the other rabbits. As for putting all the rabbits together in a run this should not happen, they should have a run for each group. Although you say they get on okay at the moment you may find this will change once they get a little older.

They get on fine, never have any arguments, would I really have two neutered males living with a female if they didn't get on and considering they are all well past maturity I'm finding it more and more unlikely for them to fall out, of course it may happen, but they've been together a year with no problems

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :x :evil:

If you were asking them to keep the males and females together i could understand them saying no. Not that you are in the wrong, as you know and care for your buns and have been careful in monitoring and bonding them to make sure they are all happy. But from their point of view this kind of group might be more problematic. However - if you didn't tell them the neutering status of each bun would they have asked (everyone who comes to them) for vet records?

As it is asking them to take just 3 bonded girls together sounds fine - I'm not sure how they see this as more problematic. I can understand where they are coming from, but it sounds like the rules they are following would be very limiting to the relationship of rabbit pairs/groups that they would be willing to look after! :shock:

Hope things turn out well for you as it sounds like an unnecessarily difficult situation. :roll:

what a patronising old cow! Write back and tell her that you know far more about buns than she obviously does :roll:

You have to remember that they are more likely to fight when they can smell other rabbits and in territory where they don't have a hierarchy established. It would be a huge responsibility looking after them as they could hurt each other, and if they start fighting she would have to make the judgement about whether to separate them or not which could have lasting implications for your group as it could wreck the bond :? She would also have to have room for them individually in case they did fight :? Not an easy thing to take on imo.

I agree there is nothing wrong with the way you keep them - if it works it works 8) But just because it works at home doesn't mean it will transport well. Rabbits are very awkward critters :? Could you find a pet sitter to come in and look after them? Once you go beyond a certain number - which I think you have reached :wink: that is the only way to have a holiday.

I must admit I agree with Louise... There could well be trouble when transporting the group to another territory, although the same could happen with all neutered rabbits.

I have eight rabbits and always have someone pop into our house to look after them when I am away. Much easier for all parties concerned.

Vera

Back