• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

another bun wiith teeth problems whats best

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
right i need to decide for whats the best course of action in these situations

i took in another, 18 month old mini lop she has slight (not sure at the progression of this as yet) malocclusion of the top front teeth,

whats the best course of action in these situ. by vet seens to thing removing teeth is not the best way BUT on a rehoming level do people really rehome bunnys that need continual dentals? or are they right and removing is unfair therer fore that them off the rehoming list??

Eve x

I know Kirkby Pet Welfare have lots of bunns which are not available to be rehomed because of their dental problems, they do go for fostering though which is what i was doing with esmerelda and bob.

mandy said:
I know Kirkby Pet Welfare have lots of bunns which are not available to be rehomed because of their dental problems, they do go for fostering though which is what i was doing with esmerelda and bob.

molar problems are harder to contend with that incisiors

I'm taking a Rabbit on in a few weeks that has got slight malocclusion. He will need very occasional dental work which we don’t have a problem paying for.

I'm not a rescue so its different for me but on a personal level unless removing the front teeth is going to benefit the Rabbit health wise I wouldn’t have them removed just so re-homing is made easier.

There are people out there who are prepared to take Rabbits on with on going medical problems.

Louise

bunnylove said:
mandy said:

molar problems are harder to contend with that incisiors

i know, they have a mixture of incisor and molar problems there- some only have incisor problems but are still not rehomed.

I suppose if your bun only has slight malclussion there's no reason why she shouldn't find a home without teeth removal if it only requires minimal treatment.

But then hasn't Jill got two bunns with teeth problems who are proving hard to rehome?

Difficult isn't it? I must admit I'd tend to favour removal, buns seem to cope perfectly well without them as long as their veg etc is grated, so I'd say it probably does benefit them healthwise as they won't have to keep going back to the vets for dental treatment.

Surely there comes a point where rescues could potentially be full of rabbits that can't be homed, so if you can do something which isn't likely to be detrimental to the bun, but will help its (and hence others, who can take its place) long term prospects, I think it's probably worth doing. I guess you have to consider each case on its own merits of course, though :wink:

Yep Mandy I have Cindy and Sam who have been here ages and no one has offered them a home due to needing regular dentals...even though there are 2 vets in different areas up here that do dentals without ga so cheap and less stress to bun...
So Eve..as long as your vet is good at removing front teeth..have to get whole root or they grow back...I'd say have it done...perhaps try to home them for a while and if no interest after a certain time limit...up to you how long....then remove the teeth......?!

I think there are ppl out there who will take on buns with teeth problems but they are prob few and far between! I personally would as the cost isn't really a problem to me, Princess has maloccluded front teeth, vet said that sometimes after a few burrings they sometimes right themselves (depending upon the reason for the malocclusion). My vet is quite reluctant to take her teeth out cos of her age (she isn't old prob around the 4ish mark, but vet said it would prob be a big op for her!). Going in tomorrow to have them burred so will see what vet says then as this is 4th time now.

Guess it depends upon the individual rabbit and if your vet agrees to take them out!

Nicola

But surely if the top incisors are removed the bottom ones are still going to need regular burring to keep them at a normal length? Or have I read this totally wrong and your on about removing all the front incisors? :oops:

Louise

honeybunny said:
Yep Mandy I have Cindy and Sam who have been here ages and no one has offered them a home due to needing regular dentals...even though there are 2 vets in different areas up here that do dentals without ga so cheap and less stress to bun...
So Eve..as long as your vet is good at removing front teeth..have to get whole root or they grow back...I'd say have it done...perhaps try to home them for a while and if no interest after a certain time limit...up to you how long....then remove the teeth......?!

hi jil like alsion says i am a relatively small rescue :roll: believe it or not so the potential for me to get blocked up with unrehomeables is great (have no fosterers) , therefore i will have to close an look after those perminantly :roll: not great in a area with few rescues that do the all ship and caboddle :lol: :lol: the first "casper" will be removed witout questioned they are already starting to protrude after a week :shock: , the second i am gonna wait and se for a bit, but wanted to know what people felt particularly rescues in this case!

whats the risks to the bunny if they have them out??

AlisonA said:
I think they take all the incisors out if they need to take any out.

I had a girl who only had her bottom incisors out and needed the top set burring about every 2/3 months. She managed brilliantly. :D

Louise

casper would need all 3 out as his are in a state anyway and has one missing, skyes top to are misaligned and also has one missing from the bottom!

Squidgy has had his incisors removed, he had this done about 4 years ago almost as soon as he came to us. He was having to have his teeth done about every three weeks which really stressed him out.
The operation was fine, he ate mushy food for a couple of days, and we haven't looked back since. I would say have them removed, especially if they're going to need doing regularly, as it's less stressful for the bun.

I rehomed one with no front teeth and she is doing brilliant but as for rehoming ones with teeth problems I would say is pretty much impossible as people don't want the expense

Just to add that Squidgy is a perfect housebunny as he can't chew our wires :D

Alfie has just had all his front teeth removed
he is doing really well :)
my vet doesnt leave one set in as the others countiually, grow Alfie only needed his bottom teeth removing but she has removed the top set too

I think it depends on the rabbit.

If the problem with the teeth are minimal and the bun is not stressed by trips to the vets then I'd leave them.

But if the teeth are in a bad way and needs lots of GA then I'd have them removed, and if the bun is very stressed out by visits to the vet.

I know if Dougal (touches wood) ever had a problem with his front teeth I'd have them out.

Eve yes getting filled up with hard to homes is a problem :( Being a small rescue makes it difficult..anyone reading this thread who is willing t take on a bun who needs regular burring please contact Eve about her one and then me about Cindy and Sam!

honeybunny said:
Eve yes getting filled up with hard to homes is a problem :( Being a small rescue makes it difficult..anyone reading this thread who is willing t take on a bun who needs regular burring please contact Eve about her one and then me about Cindy and Sam!

one :shock: err two! casper and skye :D :D

Back