• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

9 week listless bunny -advice needed - Sweet dreams my sweet

loulouembers

Warren Scout
I have been looking after a baby rabbit for the last week. It was 9 weeks old yesterday.
He has been very listless since last night. I syringed some water and went to the vet this morning. He gave an antibiotic injection and some glucose injected straight into his stomach.
I have been told to feed baby food and cooled boiled water once an hour and take him back tomorrow.
Would pineapple juice help :?:
What can I feed him that will give him the most energy :?:
He is very thin and not moving around much.
He had 2 wees overnight and some very small poops.

Louisa

Vegetable baby food is excellent. Pineapple juice will help keep the gut going. See if your vet has any recovery food that you can syringe feed if necessary too. Failing that you could soak hi rabbit food in warm water til it is mushy enough to offer him or syringe feed him. Keep him eating. Anything he will have. That is the most important thing, to keep the tummy going so you don't get anorexia or GI problems. I am in same position with Bugsy.... but force feed is necessary if he won't eat. Good luck babe xxxxx

If he is very thin, use Heinz baby food that c/w corns favor. Corns is used to fatten rabbits. But don't feed the bunny w/ just corns, as it may cause blockage. However, a little bit of fresh corn shouldn't cause blockage though.

I did ask about critical care, I dont really know what it is but I have seen it mentioned on here. He said they dont have it. Should I get some?? If so where??

ask your vet for science recovery if they haven't got critical care.Did your vet not ooffer to order some in for you :? Tempt him with anything he likes.

So sorry that you were so ill and I couldnt save you

HARLIE-JULY06.jpg

Binky Free my sweet
9 weeks is a short life. May your time at the Bridge be full of love

I`m so sorry you lost your little one. :cry:
Big Hugs to you.....................................
Binky free litttle one......................................

Su.x

Awww I'm so sorry!
I'd change vet, not offering you critical care or recovery is rediculous! I had a baby go the same way at 7 weeks, but the vets were really great, treating it aggresively and getting me appointments daily so we could give him what he needed. We had critical care and probiotic, along with metacam as he was in pain. They also gave him pain killer injections and gut stimulants.
I'm so sorry you lost your little friend.

what an adorable little bunny. And passed away too soon. It's very sad to hear it. I'm so sorry you have to go thru this. Lots of bigger bunnies hanging out with him at the rainbow bridge.

Back