• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treating urine scald in bunnies

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello,

What is used to treat urine scald in bunnies? I am nursing a disabled bun at the moment and the urine is burning his legs and surrounding area.

What can I use to clean the area without irritating it ?

What can I use to apply afterwards to soothe the area and protect against infection?

Also, is there anything I can use to help keep the area dry and allow it to heal?

I read somewhere that you can put bandages around the legs to protect against urine but was worried that the bandages would soak the wee up and that would make it worse. Is there anything I can put on his legs and surrounding area such as a bandage that will stop the urine soaking in?

I have read that fuciderm is used for urine scald but can you only buy it on prescription?

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I always use sucocream on red bits on my rabbits, Beebie was very bad with urine scald at the end and I found sudocream worked very well as sothing, a barrier and keeping it clean.

hi bed the bunny on vet bed or soft towels..they will need changing regularly and if you wash them use non biological powder.
Wash the sore areas with cooled.boiled water and make sure they are thoroughly dry...pat carefully..use a hairdryer if it doesn't stress bun too much but keep the dryer at a safe distance..remember they get VERY hot and buns can't take the heat like our heads can! :shock:
Put a thin layer of sudacrem on places that are very sore..it's antiseptic so will help it heal...when it improves you can use vaseline as a waterproof barrier.

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions. Am hopefully going to buy some vet bed on my way home from work today.

Is it wise to put socks/bandages on sore legs to keep them dry?

Is water better to use than fragrance wet wipes to clean the area? I have bought some baby wipes from boots they are fragrance free and can be used for babys and exczema(?) prone skin, wondered whether they would be any good?

Any suggestions as to what is best to clean the area with?

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi we had a bad problem with our disabled bun at one time and the scalding actually took the fur off his feet. What we did at night was:
1. Wrapped gently some water proof dressing around his feet and ankles
2. Then put baby socks over the top if this
3. The socks were then secured with light dressing tape just above the ankle to stop the sock from coming off (but he would always find a way :twisted: )

That was a year ago. Today he is much much better. He gets bathed almost every morning using baby shampoo -he really got used to this. At night we use Johnsons nappy rash cream as a barrier around his rump - we started with vaseline but this really clogged up in his fur. This has keep away the fierce red skin we would used to see from the exposure to urine.

At night he sleeps with his brother in a 4x3 run that has ProFleece (very simliar to Vetbed). Some mornings he is bone dry and others he can be really wet or in between.

Hope this helps - good luck

I'd recommend shaving or trimming the fur in the effected area (makes it easier to wipe clean). Then several times a day, wipe the area clean with a damp cloth or wet wipes. Pat dry and cover with vasline or sudecreme. Both are semi water proof so protect the area from the urine. Sudecreme is commonly used to treat nappy rash in babies for the same reason.

Keeping the bunnies on vet bed is ideal as that draws the urine away from the surface, so the bun sits on dry bedding. Towels are absorbent but don't have the same dry on top soggy underneath effect.

Tam

Back