• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm feeling guilty, size of hutch

In australia hutches are very hard to find, but I found one on ebay it was a 3' double and it was the only brand new double hutch I had seen in australia and it was 50cm high where most are 40-45. I will wait to see him stretch up in it and if his head is too near the roof I will take half the second floor out so then the second story will be more like a shelf. I'm feeling guilty though because it is small, my baby will go from a 4' 5" x 2' x 2' cage to a 3' x 3' 3" x 1' 8" hutch with each level being 3' x 1' 8" x 1' 8".

Should I be feeling guilty? Honest.

What I was thinking when I bought it was that it was the biggest I had found so unless I was going to make one it was this or nothing. I was also thinking that in the future when I get him his shed (when I get some more money, I'm 15) that I can put the hutch in it without it taking too much room.

I am also going to attach it to a massive run. The run is a ex plant nursery so it is 2.4 metres high so I can put shelves and everything in it.

PS:My bunny is a dwarf lop.

I posted this in another thread but it answers the same q:

With accomodation you have to consider the whole setup. For example, my bunnies have a 3' x 2' sleeping box which sits on top of a 6'x6' run. They have free access between the two areas 24/7. They spend about 4-5 hours a day sleeping up top, which is plenty big enough for them to stretch out. Then they spend the rest of the time running about in their run, which is partially covered to give them a sheltered area.

Their 'sleep box' is the same size as a bun in a 5' hutch would get and the covered area of their run provides as much protection as the 'living' area of a hutch does.

That means in total my rabbits have access to 25% more space (42 square feet) than rabbits kept in the recommended 5'x2' hutch with a 5'x4' run (30' of space).

So, in my view there is nothing wrong with a smaller hutch as long as you make up for it in the size of your run :)

Thanks, the plant nursery I am changing into a full height run I measured just then and it is 7' long x 4' wide x 8' high. The hutch will actually be going inside the run so it will take up some of the floor space but that is also made up by shelves I am going to put in, I figure I may aswell take advantage of the height aswell.

Back