• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So sad!

Lind80

Mama Doe
We often get cases into the surgery that are sad and animals that haven't been looked after properly :( but last week I saw one of the saddest cases I have seen since working in practice.

A giant cross female rabbit, just under a year old, weighing 1.8kg :shock: I have never seen such a thin rabbit! She was absolutely emaciated! She was so weak that she swayed as she sat still :( She was to weak to hop, she just pulled herself along :( She had an abscess the size of a tennis ball :shock: Her hocks were so sore and bleeding and were really swollen where they had become infected :( She had urine scalding all down her back legs and sticky poo stuck all round her back end :( How this rabbit didn't have fly strike I don't know! She was such a friendly little thing it was absolutely heart wrenching treating her :cry: The vets in the practice said they had never seen me so quiet and upset about a case. I was absolutely gobsmacked that someone could leave an animal in this state :evil:

She was set up on a drip with painkillers and antibiotics, but just kept going down hill. In the end she started crying so she was put to sleep :cry:

To think that nothing can be done about these cases is awful :evil: I hate this part of my job :cry:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww what a sad story, :cry: :cry: How can some people have pets and treat them so badly :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Was it the owners that brought the bun in?

If so do you call the RSPCA?

Some people are so heartless.

I don't know why people do this to their animals.

nicole said:
Was it the owners that brought the bun in?

If so do you call the RSPCA?

Some people are so heartless.

I don't know why people do this to their animals.

The RSPCA can't do anything if someone takes an animal into a veterinary surgery, as they have taken the firt step to getting their animal treated :roll:

Many people have shared horrible stories on these forums, but I don't think any story has got me like this one. I am sitting here, unable to cry, but with a chill down my back and shaky hands.

I can;t begin to imagine the pain that poor bunny was going through, but to hear that she was crying is just too horrible to bear.

Binky free little one and I hope you find some peace now.

And as for the owner......... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

oh my goodness.. that is sooo sad.. the poor bunny.. Im pleased it was able to have a chance of treatment and put out of its misery. I cant imagine doing such a job :cry: :cry: Binky free bunny :cry:

It is so sad.

I have had rabbits bought in here infested with maggots (flystrike) when the owners notice maggots all over them. Instead of getting it to a vets they bring it to a rescue so that they aren't faced with a vet bill.
The last time this happened I just looked them square in the face and asked if they would let their child get into this state? They had no answer, just that ...'that was what I was there for.'

People will never change sadly and animals are always thought of as inferior.

Emma

Back