• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sleeping in litter box

kayjay

Warren Veteran
Can someone advise me on what best to use in a litter box? My new rabbit's taken to using her plastic pet carrier as a den, and is spending time resting in and sleeping in it. She's got a large den around it and is coming out to eat etc. When I collected her yesterday we put hay in the carrier for the journey but I haven't liked to change it yet as I want her to settle. There are no signs anywhere of urine so I'm assuming she's using the carrier as her litter box. Is this OK? If it is, I was thinking of putting a paper based litter in it with hay for her to nibble (she has hay elsewhere too). I'm concerned she'll get dirty from sitting in her wee - can anyone advise what's normal for them to do as I'm new to this. :?

Don't worry too much about it.
Pepper and Buster virtually live in their litter trays. They eat, sleep and groom themselves in theirs.
As long as yours comes out to play then she should be okay.

One of mine likes to chill out in her litter tray too :roll: . Just use something dead absorbent so she doesn't sit in the wet. I use wood based cat litter. :D

I use carefresh for litter with hay on top of it.
I would change the hay if it is soiled to keep it clean for your rabbit, especially if she sits there.

:roll: It's not unusual :shock:

Bob.. who's staying for a few days before he goes to his new home does it
bob6.jpg

Sweep.. one of mine... likes to tip the contents out before sleeping in her tray :roll:
RIMG0689.jpg

She also used to do it when she was just a baby too
RIMG0550.jpg

Sweeps mum, Holly, does it from time to time too
RIMG0450.jpg

DSCF0070.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Sophie only has woodbased litter in hers and thats it! And she still sleeps in it! :roll:

Back