• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do rabbits purr?

anamaria

Warren Scout
last night while i was cuddling Charlie he sort of vibrated :? it felt really wierd and it wasnt just shaking but he didnt make a noise. my grandma said cats do that when they purr, so was charlie purring?? :?

Yes, rabbits do purr. They do it by sort of grinding their teeth together gently which does feel like they are vibrating sometimes! You must have a very happy bun...

Sophie makes a funny noise ... I can't describe it really ... sounds a bit like a snort almost, but not that loud :lol: I alway think it's her belly rumbling but she eats well for a bunny her age :)

Maybe I should make a sound clip of it somehow :shock: :? :wink:

awww its love!!!
I always used to tell mine off for grinding her teeth cos thats what it feels like ..... until I came on here andd found out it was a good thing lol

Mine sound like they are chattering their teeth like we do when we are cold.. is that the purring noise?? Nala and Fifi do it when im grooming/stroking them.

Diddeen said:
Mine sound like they are chattering their teeth like we do when we are cold.. is that the purring noise?? Nala and Fifi do it when im grooming/stroking them.

Yup, that's bruxing! While purring is something only cats can do (some weird way of making the noise in thier throat) bruxing is the "grinding" of their teeth - that's why it feels like vibrations too. :D

Back