• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Bunny

kayjay

Warren Veteran
Well I was at a children's farm yesterday, and saw a bunny being sold as "ex breeding stock £10", and she was so gorgeous so she's now at home with me. The farm doesn't treat the bunnys badly and the hutches and runs were plenty big enough but they don't do any home checks and anyone can buy a bunny - no one was going to get Pippa! She's a lionhead lop and 2 years old and absolutely beautiful. You know when you've just got to ....!! Felt awful about the others still there though. Reading another thread though about a breeder who kills "ex stock" at least they're not destined for that.

She's friendly in her den but if you approach her she's quite skittish as she's not been handled much. Does anyone have any advice to make her first few days ok? I've given her a bit of carrot this morning, which she devoured (the farm said she only occasionally got greens), and she's come out of her hidey hole (travelling case!) to eat and seems happy enough.

The best thing to do is give her a few days in her new hutch to get used to her new surroundings, give her some greens in small amounts and over the next few weeks slowly increase it.

After a few days start to handle her. But whilst she's in her hutch talk to her, put your hand in and hold some food out to try and get her to approach you as she will feel safer if it's on her terms.

Yay new bunny!!

Back