• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning up and discouraging "accidents on carpet"

kitschkitty

Mama Doe
Hello,

For the first time my bun peed on the carpet. :?

He's been an indoor bunny for about 5 weeks, and has always peed in his cage before.

I cleaned it up straight away with the nearest thing to hand which was washing up liquid and hot water!

As I live in a rented house I really need to do everything possible to avoid this happening again.

Anyone got any tips for what is best for cleaning up and discouraging a repeat (by the way he peed in the corner, pretty near his cage which was open at the time, and he pooped too - this was the 3rd time in the last week he pooped in that area).

:?

The best thing to do is once the wee is mopped up wipe the area over with white vinegar. it neutralises any smell so they don't keep going back there. You can get it in tesco.

I wondered if white vinegar would help (have some in the cupboard). He can't get to that spot now anyway, as I've moved the barriers in the room (have them up and he likes to get under the TV unit and investigate all the TV & stereo cables oh and he loves tipping the bin over too, so now that's out of the way).

Deej is now about 2 and a half. He is indeed castrated, we have had him since he was a few months old. He used to be an outdoor bunny but due to the state of our garden he is now a house bunny (his dad was a house bunny - even though we didn't own his dad he still reminds me of him quite a lot - they are both very determined & like lots of attention) he gets a lot more time out and attention now as I'm in all day. :D

Back