• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giant Bunny at p@h

Bex Dave and Robbie

Warren Veteran
Sorry not sure if this is the right place to post but not sure if there is anything I can do, apart from buy the bunny but hubby has said no...:eek:(

I popped in to my local P@H to make an appointment at the vets and as usual looked at the rabbits they had in to find that they had a giant (sorry can't remember which one) for sale...the sign did state they weren't suitable for kids and would grow to a minimum of 5kg...just wondered if P@H were reasonable in checking the home the rabbit was going to? I don't think any of the hutches they sell would be suitable for that size rabbit...

Please reassure meI'm just being paranoid...should I have spoken to the manager?

Thanks

Becky

There was a thread on this a little while ago (will look for it and see if I can resurrect it......). I think I saw one in PAH a little while ago too. :(

Thank you! Hate they way they seem so casual about 'a new range' :shock: these are animals not fashion accessories! :x

I'll go and see the manager tomorrow. What would be the minimum size hutch that would be suitable for a giant? If I have measurements I can check they have a decent sizeone and that they will ensure the rabbit goes with that hutch only!

Will also keep working on hubby...but not holding my breath!

The problem is that if you buy them, the shop will just fill the space with more bunnies, so you'd actually be creating a demand for them :cry: I'm a complete coward, and avoid teh place (and any other petshops actually) as it upsets me too much.

I agree - harsh as it may sound, if you buy it you create a demand for it, and more unfortunate Giants will follow into the shop. :(

Bex said:
So really the only thing to do is leave it there and complain? I know what you are saying is right but.... :?

Yes, I really think that's all you can do. They are probably testing out how successful Giants are for selling at the moment, so if you buy one, they will think 'great - let's get more in'. :(

Right..ok well I'll have a word with the manager,see what they say..if I don't get a satisfactory response I'll contact the head office...Just can't believe that they even thought about it..but I guess if the demand is there...just hoping it hasn't been sold by tomorrow....not sure they'll do anything but...Just hate the thought of the poor thing going to a bad home in a tiny little hutch! :cry:

Thanks for all your responses!!

Its not a hutch they need but a shed or large dog crate!

Its awful what they are doing to large bunnies! :(

which breed of giant was it? if its a french lop then the maximum weight is more likly to be 6.8kg.
(which would more or less prove that in fact the company has not done its research....).....if its a british or conti thair estimation is even further of... :evil:

I really see no point in teling people the weights these giants reach as you cannot picture a rabbit by weight very easily.it would be much better to have a stuffed one or real photos.(fake stuffed one!!)

youngbunny2 said:
I really see no point in teling people the weights these giants reach as you cannot picture a rabbit by weight very easily.it would be much better to have a stuffed one or real photos.(fake stuffed one!!)

or they could put a comparison ie) standard bunny size is 1.5- 2kg size (or whatever it actually is), giants can reach 7kg.

i know my local pets@home had some lovely 6foot hutches in.. but they only had dwarf lops in stock so hoping it doesnt mean the bigger rabbits are going to follow

Our local P&H have a giant in stock its £69.99 cant believe they have one in stock, they do state thats its not suitable for small children :cry:

We have a garden centre called Cadburys home and leisure centre i went in last week and they have New Zealand’s and Flemish Giants for sale, There living areas were better than P@H but not great and there were no large hutches for sale :(
Even though i am from Bristol i can't help thinking that Wallace and Gromit - the curse of the ware rabbit that might have something to do with it :?

Frankie said:
We have a garden centre called Cadburys home and leisure centre near to where i live and i went in last week and they have New Zealand’s and Flemish Giants for sale, Their living areas were better than P@H but not great and there were no large hutches for sale :(

Even though i am from Bristol i can't help thinking that Wallace and Gromit - the curse of the ware rabbit that might have something to do with it :?

Back