• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help my bunny is a boy not a girl!!!!

Aimee84

Warren Scout
Betsy Mae(now not yet named) is 17 wks after checking her for fly strike I found she had testicles arhhhhh! so I did the check and yup shes a he! How can the vet get it wrong 3 times? She was checked at 6wks then at 10&12wks when she had his jabs!
I'm now going to get him castrated straight away. But as I thought he was a she I got her a companion so now it makes sense that she was just trying to mate with her all the time. This other rabbit is definately female and is one weeks older than the boy they were separated when pippa was about 12 wks but could she be pregnant if the boy managed to mount! I tell you i'm really mad I was waiting to get what I thought was both females spayed as I was told that could only be done from 6months.
Sorry my heads all over the place, I should have checked myself for the sex but you kinda think that vets know what there doing!!!!
HELP???????

Hi this happens quite often! Your other bun is unlikely to be pregant as the gestation period for rabbits is 28-32 days so if she :D has been seperate for 5 weeks you're safe! If they have been together since then however short a time for..then she could be.....check your dates...fingers crossed

No they haven't been back together since so then pippa won't be pregnant. YEY!
Thanks so much I did start to panic well i'll get him booked into the vets asap.
Thanks again

Vets find it difficult to sex babies without one of the opposite sex to compare to. I've found I'm just as accurate as the vet when I check, so do it myself now. Be thankful, castrating is much cheaper than spaying lol. They'll probably get on just as well as an opposite sex couple.

The thing is I can understand when a baby is 6 wks old that it is difficult but when it was again checked at 10 and 12 wks surely the vet must have noticed something. I should have checked myself to make sure but you trust what vets say! But yes castrating is cheaper lol! Oh well at least i've found out now and not later on who knows what could have happened.

Thanks to all !

My (previous :evil: ) vet got it wrong 3 times as well telling me Leon was a girl.

As a result I took him to a rescue to be introduced to a boy bunny and he got injured by the other rabbit :evil: .

I was so angry and it cost me £300 in vets bills.

Youd expect the vet to get it right really - try phoning the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons to make a complaint.

Back