• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Please

Ali

Warren Veteran
Hi, I havent posted for a while, but could somebody please help me, Barney isnt well, I dont know whats wrong with him, he's just sitting there, he had his food yesterday as normanl, but later yesterday afternoon he wouldn't come out of his hutch for a run around out side. I checked him all over and everything seemed ok.
I have gone to him this morning, and he is totally lifless, dosent want any food, I have tried to get some water into him but he wont drink, have checked his bum this morning and its a bit goowy, have cleaned him up, but dont know what to do now.

Any help please

Ali

Do you have a syringe to get some water in to him?

If it was me, I'd be down the vets!

Hope he's ok xxxx

No I havent got a syringe but my partner is going to the chemist to get one.

Thank you for replying

Just had a look through some old posts - Do you think it could be his teeth? It might explain the lack of eating and messy bum?

Can you not get to your vets?

I have checked his teeth, they look ok, he didnt even move when I did this, :( :(
I have felt his tummy it dosent feel hard or anything, or blowted :( just no visable signs :( :( he dosent flinch any where as though he is in pain :cry:

Ali

I'd get him to the vets so they can give him fluids and make sure he's ok. Rabbits can die if they don't eat for 24 hours as their guts stop moving, it can be very serious so get him checked out asap. They may give you critical care to feed him and will provide syringes.

I'm afraid if it was me, I'd deffo be calling the vet.. especially as you aren't sure what it is, its hard to find things that could help :?

I'm not sure how they work - but do you have a PAH with a vet surgery in it by you? Maybe you could run Barney down there - :? - but as I say - I'm not sure how they work!

hope your bunny feels beter soon, my bunny has the same thing although i am lucky and have metachlopromide on site :D as laura says try and find the nesrest companion care!

good luck!

Well the vets has rung back, he wants £125.00 just to open the surgery today, and what ever treatment after that. He said probably looking at £200.00

He said all he would do today is to give him fluids, but we have now managed to get some into Barney, he has moved a bit since he had some water, so am going to give him some every 30mins.

The vet did say it didnt sound good :cry: :cry:
Thank you for all your kind wishes xxxxxx

Ali

Oh no Ali :cry: There is a companion care vets in Norwich, it's the one that Cheryl (Sprowston GP rescue) uses. As someone has already said, they are open on Sundays as they are in Pets at Home stores. I'd suggest giving them a ring and getting him up there. I'd have thought he needs a gut stimulant and painkillers as well as fluids.

In the meantime, have you got or can you get, any infacol? If there is some trapped wind causing pain, this can help - although I stress that this is no substitute to getting your bun to a vet, but it can help a little in the meantime.

Good luck xx

Back