• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baby rabbits need help in Manchester (ideas) not for me

elaine

Mama Doe
I have been contacted by a lady who has ended up with baby rabbits and really could do with some ideas of what to do as she has a problem with fighting now, I have copied her email and if anyone can give her some ideas/help as I have run out of things to suggest I will pass her email on to you

But l know have another problem l want to home them in pairs and keep one with the mum. but Wednesday l let the mum in the run with the babies for an hour and the little runt which is a female had its kneck riped open. l took it to the vets straight away and they kept her overnight and stitched it. By the time l'd gont the vets she had managed to pull 3 stitches out so they had to put 3 staples in. By the time I'd got home with her she'd pulled out one of the staples. l bandaged round her kneck but the stictches /staples were on the shoulder so it was difficult to cover. She has had her leg through the bandage and managed to pull it off a few times. Then l had to take it off cause she waspulling it tighter round the kneck. Its just holding together. l've had to keep her in the house and take it upstairs at night to keep an eye on it. Now l've tried bringing one baby rabbit in at a time to keep them integrated but she seems afraid of them and the other little female seemed to chase her so l'm wondering if it was the others that have turned on her and not the mum? What do you think? this is all new to me and l'm at a loss. l'm frightened of letting the mum near her or the others. I have offerred to have the baby rabbits neutered even the two l've homed when they are old enough. They are all 10 weeks old tomorrow Monday, Whats the best way to pair them all off and what would you suggest. l'm running out of space and as they are getting bigger they need more. l've also noticed a little sore on one of the males so possible they are all squabling between themselves.
l have 3 males and 2 females left. Thats including the little runt

I probably wouldn't try bondingthem untill they are neutered. The one with the cut, would it not be better to have the opening glued?

Is this an actual rehoming thread as I'm a bit confused :lol: . If it's just for advice I could do with it putting in rabbit care :?: :D

OK do you want me to move the topic for now, you will probably get better response for advice in the care section? Then start a new topic with sex's, age, description?

If the babies have been seperated from mum, there's little chance she will accept them back, unless you go through the process of rebonding and that's not a good idea until they're a bit older and mum has been neuterred. She won't see them as her babies once they are seperated, she will just see them as competition.

Back