• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Rabbit question?

sharond

Warren Scout
I have a 14 week old French Lop called George. I bought him from a companion pet hobbyist breeder as a house rabbit.
George has the indoor cage pictured below as a base. He sleeps in there at night and goes in there when we are out. I am lucky enough to only work part time 3 days a week, and my husband works shifts so is often at home when I'm not so George gets out in his 6ft square run in the garden for part of every day, (weather permiting) and the rest of the time he is free range in the house with us.
However, I am very aware that soon the indoor cage I have will not be big enough to put a French Lop in at night etc, and just wondered if anybody has their bunnies living completely free range, just with a basket for sleeping in and a litter tray and hay rack etc.

George has been wonderful and is so tame and loves being with us. We have bunny proofed the house as far as we can, wires covered etc, but he still has the occasional chew at something depending on his mood. When we're there, a clap of the hands and giving him something to distract him works fine, but I can't imagine leaving him alone for any length of time without him destroying something.
Has that time ever come for any of you?
I have alreday thought about getting one of the pens that you can make very big out of pannels and just using that when we are out of the house. Also when he's too big for his indoor cage he can have free run of the conservatory in the winter (too hot in the summer) and the kitchen in the winter.
Just wondered if anyones buns live completely free range. Thanks for your help :D Here's his indoor base at the moment.
bdaycake_029.jpg

I have two house rabbits that are 100% free range. I have two indoor cages that have their litter trays and food in but they are never closed. They are restricted to just one room though. They DO destroy stuff :lol: Anything plastic or paper that gets left within reach gets chewed and one of them is pretty rubbish at using the litter trays :lol: Otherwise its fine!

I have a seven-month-old French Lop who is totally free range day and night. He has total access to all the rooms in our house except the room where my other Rabbits are kept. We put several rugs down for him to sleep on but so far he seems to prefer the laminate flooring! :lol:

He's impeccably well litter trained. I've given him a basket full of toys/boxes/chews etc to distract him from chewing the house. So far he has been as good as gold. :D

Louise

This is where my bunnies live. They are "free-range" in a sense, but have partitioned off part of my room for night time (as Travis will jump on my bed and "groom" me in the middle of the night otherwise!! And for during the day when I'm at work..
room7.jpg
room6.jpg

room5.jpg
room3.jpg

room2.jpg

Thanks so much for your replies, It is nice to hear that they can be totaly free range :D
Louise just like your bun George is great at using his litter tray. :D
Kerin, that is what I was thinking of doing, having some panels like you have to partition of an area just when I need to. :D

rupert my house bun is free range almost all the time he has his cage at night as he likes to dig in his dirt box and run it thru my carpet. he has access to the garden and all the house his favorite room is the bathroom he will happily watch u have a bath and look in the bath sometimes its so cute my house has been bunny proofed but he will try and eat the post before i get to it :lol:

I got a pen from p@h that's metal panels so you can change the shape of it for when my buns come in over night. Problem is my giant just jumped over it and leapt on the bed, scared me half to death. x

Rallybunny said:
Ooooh, where did you get the cage and how big is it??

I got the cage from Ross Rabbits online shop.
It is 4ft square and 3ft high at the highest point in the middle. My husband made the hardwood floor for it to sit on as it doesn't come with a floor.

Back