• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New fosters - tips on caring for kits please

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Shortly I shall be picking up some new foster rabbits from Kirkby Pet Welfare.

They are 4 x 4.5 week old rexes who's mum has died :( , not sure how yet, but they'll just stay with me for a few weeks. I had not intended to have any of my own or fosters, unless it was an emergency and this is. They'll be in my summer house or in the house if its too warm.

Anyway...I know about food etc, but can anyone please advise me on other things- literally anything i need to know about caring for babies please!

Will post piccies soon

They'll still be on milk, the problem is changing them onto another kind as no other milk has the same amount of fat etc in it as rabbit milk. Goat's milk is the next best as they are far too young to be weaned. Give them solid food as well too try, whatever their mum was on as they'd have had access to it, and veg if she had them, it'll be a case of whether their guts can cope with it or not. A probiotic might help.

A bottle would probably be too big, you'd be best of with a syringe or feeding them with a spoon so they can lick it off (though they may knock it out of your hands!)

Morning, thank you.

This morning they've eaten all of their food and hay. but will go and get some goats milk....not sure they'd take to syringe feeding though as they're actually really big for 4.5 weeks old. I suppose thats because they're rexes and the lady at the rescue says there's no reason to doubt the person who brought them in as she knows them. :?

They're very scared :(

Try a bowl for them then, but replace the milk frequently or only leave it in for an hour to so to stop it going off. If they seem lively and happy it's always a good sign. They will be scared but they're be ok once they get used to you x

Back