• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So Sad...U/D-Reported to RSPCA

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
For the last 6 years a local Garden Centre has had an Orange Rex Buck as the 'shops Rabbit' :roll:
Over the years I have TRIED to get them to allow him exercise out of his hutch. He 'occassionally' gets plonked in a 4ft run. I have also tried to advise them about his diet.
Last year I noticed how fat he was getting and put my concerns in writing to the store manager. I have also offered him a retirement home on numerous occassions.
Well today I went to see the Bun.....OMG!!
He is MORBIDLY OBESE, :x :( covered in Cheyletiella Mites :x :( and whereas he is normally very responsive to attention he just sat with a blank expression on his face :cry: The store manager was not in so I spoke with one of the other staff. She had not the slightest knowledge of Rabbits at all :x :roll:

I am now going to report the store to the RSPCA, although I doubt they will act. The hutch Bun has spent 6 years in is about 6ftx2ftx2ft. Will check on here but isnt that too small heightwise for RSPCA recommendation?

I got in my car to leave the store and just burst into tears :cry: The poor bun has had such a horrible life stuck on his own at the back of a shop. I hate to say it but if he cant be 'rescued' he'd be better off at The Bridge :cry: :cry:

Janex

I am afraid to say that put in the same situation i would have gone mad! and taken the bunny.it makes me sick these pet shops that really dont give a dam about bunnies.

Carob said:
Aw Jane defo report them! Does he belong to them or is he for sale?

No he is theirs :cry: I saw him the day he arrived as a baby and he has not seen much other than his hutch for 6 years :cry:

Janex

Oh that's so sad :( poor baby,please try not to get too distressed (easier said than done I know,I'm upset just thinking about it) You've done what you can so far Jane.All I can suggest is keep trying to get hold of the manager to let them know what appalling conditions they are keeping this bun in and that you are monitoring this situation. Good luck

You know what my rex is fat, is a problem with rex's? he eats no more then my my smaller buns. I'm taking his to the vets next week as his eye seem a bit gammy again (not like they were before, just slightly) i will get him checked for fattness :?

Aw, that is awful! :evil:
Perhaps a visit from the RSPCA will scare them into looking after him properly :(

This Bun is more than fat Tree. He is like a round ball of blubber with legs poking out underneath :(
He has mites cos he is so fat there is no way he could reach to groom himself. Some of my Rexes are chubby but nothing like the Shop Bun :cry: :cry:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
This Bun is more than fat Tree. He is like a round ball of blubber with legs poking out underneath :(
He has mites cos he is so fat there is no way he could reach to groom himself. Some of my Rexes are chubby but nothing like the Shop Bun :cry: :cry:

Janex

Awwww poor bun :cry:

Buster is quite big, my mom says if he was a person he'd be a beer swigging lager lout. He isn't a classy bun at all.

Righto, well they RSPCA say the will record my call as one about a 'serious case of neglet' and they hope to get an Inspector out TODAY!! :shock:

We'll see......

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Righto, well they RSPCA say the will record my call as one about a 'serious case of neglet' and they hope to get an Inspector out TODAY!! :shock:

We'll see......

Janex

That's what the RSPCA said to me about the dog I reported 2 weeks ago... still haven't seen/heard anything!! :roll: :roll:

Awww... poor poor bun! :( I really hope the RSPCA do actually do something!!

xEMMAx said:
That's what the RSPCA said to me about the dog I reported 2 weeks ago... still haven't seen/heard anything!! :roll: :roll:
quote]

Emma when I reported a pet shop they said if I didn't hear from them it may actually be a positive thing, as they are not allowed to inform you of a prosecution unitl the outcome is decided.

Jack's-Jane said:
I am now going to report the store to the RSPCA, although I doubt they will act. The hutch Bun has spent 6 years in is about 6ftx2ftx2ft. Will check on here but isnt that too small heightwise for RSPCA recommendation?

I think 2ft high is the minimum recommended by the RSPCA IF the bunny has daily access to a run, which it sounds like this one doesn't. :(

This sounds a lot like the situation Bigwig was in and his poor brother is still in, except the hutch in question is even smaller, probably only a foot high and 4 foot long. :(

Poor boy ... if it's the same place I'm thinking of, I've seen him too (or there could be two bunnies like this!) What an awful life, why would a store want or need a pet bunny ... silly ppl.

Back