• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

grooming brush advice please

kitara

Young Bun
Hi everyone.

I am collecting my british giant buck next Wednesday and just wanted to buy a few things in advance. I bought a normal pet brush today but wondered do I need one of these slicker brushes too? Also, how often do you all groom your own rabbits? Maybe slicker brush once a week and normal brush every day?

Sorry to ask such basic questions but I want to do everything right.

Thanks

Kitara
:D :D :D

I don't use a slicker brush on my giants as it seems to hurt them (they're wusses) I just use a soft bristle brush and stroke them hard (not too hard, but just to see if any more hair is lose)

I have every comb and brush available! :lol:

I have found the slicker brush the best for my lop and the combs best for my lionhead :D If your bun is short haired, a slicker brush is probably pretty good :D

I mainly brush sophie when she is malting cus at any other time, she does a good job of grooming herself!

My lionhead I try to do daily but he's ok if I do it a couple of times a week with a good comb :D

I got a slicker for my lop and its useless, does nothing for removing the loose hair and seems quite hard. Im afraid its hurting his sensitive skin.

I just use a normal brush now. Does the trick.

Back