• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Large indoor cages...

yup id say a dog crate is much bigger for the same price.
I got my large ferplast cage from a local petshop for about £50. They do have them on some websites but they tend to be expensive once you add postage. maybe try ebay?

I bought this indoor chalet cage as a base for my bunny George, from Ross rabbits on line shop. It is 4ft sqaure and 3ft high and has two levels in the sheltered roof part. My husband made the hardwood base for it to stand on as it doesn't have a floor.

bdaycake_029.jpg

hi.i also bought a dog crate off ebay.it is 48'' long(large dog breed size)and it cost me approx £32 before postage.it is ideal but be prepared for its size as it absolutely huge.we are going to create another level as its big enough to do.the only problem i have is that dudley always tries so hard to tiddle in his tray but he doesnt realise how big his bum is!

sharond said:
I bought this indoor chalet cage as a base for my bunny George, from Ross rabbits on line shop. It is 4ft sqaure and 3ft high and has two levels in the sheltered roof part. My husband made the hardwood base for it to stand on as it doesn't have a floor.

bdaycake_029.jpg

This is really nice :)

Rabswood

rabswood said:
sharond said:

bdaycake_029.jpg

Rabswood

Thank you. I am really pleased with it, and George seems to really like it. I leave it open in the day but he often hops back in from choice. :D

sharond said:
rabswood said:
sharond said:

bdaycake_029.jpg

Rabswood

Thank you. I am really pleased with it, and George seems to really like it. I leave it open in the day but he often hops back in from choice. :D

where did you get it!?

Can you find wire shelving grids? You can make huge cages out of those and they usually cost less than any pre-built cage, including dog crates. This website can give you instructions and help you find the materials you need:
http://www.cavycages.com/index.htm

Here's one example of instructions for a huge condo made with the wire shelving grids. There's a bunch of other instructions on the net, too.
http://www.bunnylu.org/housing.html

Dog pens or tall dog exercise pens with something laid down as the floor can work well, too.

Pics of my grid cages:
1zfpfkw.jpg

1zfphn6.jpg

And the old cage that I don't use anymore:
1zfpis3.jpg

sharond said:

bdaycake_029.jpg

Wow thats fab!

Can you open side doors so your bun can hop in and out as he wants to? or do you have to open from the lid and "lift" him out and then put away? Harvey hops to and from to use the loo and for food etc.... just wondering about an upgrade!! but unless it can be opened up easily.......... hmmmm??

sarattie said:
sharond said:

bdaycake_029.jpg

Wow thats fab!

Can you open side doors so your bun can hop in and out as he wants to? or do you have to open from the lid and "lift" him out and then put away? Harvey hops to and from to use the loo and for food etc.... just wondering about an upgrade!! but unless it can be opened up easily.......... hmmmm??

Hi,
The the sides of the roof lift up, I leave one of them open, secured with a bungee strap to stop it from falling down. George has no problem at all hopping over the side, so he too comes and goes as he pleases. He hops back in for his litter tray and food.
I don't know how big Harvey is and if he'd be able to jump over the side.
George is a French lop, but he is only fourteen weeks so nowhere near fully grown, he has been able to jump over both ways since the end of the first week I had him, so from about 8 weeks.
Hope this helps
Sharon

Back