• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to get a urine sample???urgent update 9th july

bunnies

Alpha Buck
I need to get a urine sample from bracken, he uses a litter tray and i`m at a wonder on how I get this sample. :?

Suggestions please!!!

Litter tray with no litter in!!
Litter tray with just Newspaper, but you would need to be on the spot when he wee'd and syringe the wee up before it is absorbed.

Janex

When Albert had to have urine samples we tried to take one ourselves but the vet said that it would be contaminated from whatever he weed on. They had to squeeze one out of him!!!!

melaniejb said:
When Albert had to have urine samples we tried to take one ourselves but the vet said that it would be contaminated from whatever he weed on. They had to squeeze one out of him!!!!

Lovely! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've done it successfully with guinea pigs - you have to clean the litter tray thoroughly and just... watch and wait! Then scoop it up (preferably with a pipette).

I now have the sample, can`t take it to the vets till monday morning where do i keep the sample??

does it have to be kept cold e.g fridge or would in the garage be ok till tomorrow???

I got the sample by putting him in the newly laminated hall and just waited :shock: big puddle, but we won`t be telling hubby :D

I don't want to worry you unncessarily, but whenever I've got a sample before it's had to be from that day.

Yes I thought it had to be fresh too, maybe it depends what it's being tested for :? I'd keep it in the fridge and ask them tomorrow if it's going to be ok for what they need it for. At least you know how to get a sample now though :lol:

The sample has to be fresh, or crystals will form in it.

Please try and get one for the day you are going to the vets.

Yes your right, when my cat was having pee pee problems, I had to get a sample and the pee pee savy vet told me that it has to be as fresh as I could get it, this is so the test comes back accurate.

Crystals form very quickly in cats pee. However its usually still diagnostic for upto 24 hours if kept in the fridge. Pop it in the fridge, if you can get fresh in the morning then great.

Forget the newspaper, just watch your rabbit for a few hr. Their average pee time is once every 4 hr. If he sits on a spot for several hours, take him to a litter tray w/o nothing on it, let him pee, get the sample.

If you needs a fresh sample, do the above on Mon. morning, time it just before you need to see a vet. That's how I did it last time. As soon as he pee on the litter box, get that sample, and drive to the vet. Make sure the plastic cap is screw tight and cover inside a clear plastic bag in case there is a leak.

Back