• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sharing a run

nic99

Warren Scout
Do you think it would be ok for a pair of rabbits to share a run with a singleton but use it at different times?

Now I have finished uni, I am living with my mum, whose partner bought a rabbit from a petshop on a whim about 18 months ago. This poor rabbit (a black dutch named Charlie) has been stuck in a 4ft hutch the whole time dispite my constant nagging and whining at my mum to give him more space.

My two rabbits have come with me to my mums house and I look at them in their nice hutch and run and then look at Charlie and I feel so sorry for him. The patio area is not big enough to have the run belonging to my two as well as another one for Charlie (and Charlie is a big digger so couldn't go on grass) so I was thinking about letting them share.

Milo and Tess' home looks like this:

Flora011.jpg

with a cat flap to allow them between the two. I was thinking I could put Charlie's hutch on the other side also connected by a catflap and have them take it in turns to use the run.

I don't think I am brave enough to bond the three together, if Charlie was a girl then maybe I would consider it but I just can't see it working as it is. But is it also possible that the presence of Charlie could upset the bonding between my two? They adore each other and it would be dreadful if they were to fall out.

Also Charlie is not neutered or vaccinated which I would obviously need to get done before allowing them to share the same space. Well, it needs to be done sharpish anyway. I have been getting so cross at my mum for the way she has (or rather hasn't) looked after this rabbit but her defence to me is that it is not her rabbit but her partners, who lost all interest in him after about a week meaning my mum has had to look after him instead, which she just doesn't have time for to do it properly. He is worst than a child and it makes me really angry.

Grrr but now I am home it means i can start to make his life better. Maybe even get him a friend (though that would take A LOT of persuasion)

Yeah, I did think that it might be a problem. I think I am going to have to work on my mum about extending the patio. Though I really don't think she will go for it. Anyone know of any other surface (ie. cheaper and easier) that I could put down on the grass to stop him digging out?

Back