• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Male Rabbits

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

I have in the past read quite a few post completely against bonding male rabbits.

Recently there have been post pretty much saying the sex of the bun has little bearing on the long term success of bond 2 or more buns.

I have 3 bonded pairs - all mixed sex. I am in the process of bonding 2 boys as they seem to be quite happy to sit next to each other when one is in his cage and the other is "playing out". However some of the previous post concern me regarding long term success.

Additionally I have 3 single buns. 2 males and 1 female. 1 male hates the female (attacks her through his hutch if she goes near him when she is out) and the other had a good first introduction.

Now if all this bonding goes well, I will have a single male left. I have tried him with 1 of the mixed pairs. He got on OK with the other male but attacked the female. I would like advise on wether I should keep him alone or try him with 1 of the other mixed pairs.

Thanks

what they are like whilst in their hutch isnt what they will be like if you try bonding on neutral territory. Nala kept trying to attack Fifi through the bars of the pen, yet when i put them together with Simba in a neutral space she hasnt hurt her at all. I really thought 2 females would be difficult but so far all good. Give them a go on neutral territory and you may be suprised too. There are lots of members on here who have male pairs bonded.. or groups with more than one male in it.

what they are like whilst in their hutch isnt what they will be like if you try bonding on neutral territory

absolutly, that really is key. Initially I tried them in the garden or the living room, just wasn't happening!! Then I tried the bathroom - advice I got from rescue lady was smallish, neautral place best, to have a cat basket each for them, let them come out if it in their own time, have food, water and toys to keep them occupied, speak gently to them and stroke them, expect some fur pulling and scuffling especially if one goes into others basket, this is ok as long as not really hurting (no blood), build up time together, aim for 15 - 30mins first time, when seem to be ok leave overnight but keep an eye on them (I left mine 4 nights just to be sure!). I also found it helped to bring their runs right up beside one another, and swap their hutches around so they get used to scents and being in one anothers place, and before I put them back into the hutch which they were to share I thoroughly scrubbed and disinfected it with animal friendly products so there was no traces of scent left.

Bonding male bunnys can be tricky, but it can be done.
I had 4 boys (until Harry died of old age) and 2 girls in my group. It took lots of time and patience and a good brush and water spray just in case they started to attack each other.
They still have their squabbles occasionally, but that's just Pepper making sure the other boys know there place in the group. Most mornings they are all snuggled up.

Don't be too disheartened.

Hi
Yes it can be done,I have just boned my 2 boys together in the last few months, and they are totally happy with each others company. Just may take a little more time, but it was well worth the waite.
Good Luck
Carol X

Thanks for all your posts.

i feel alot better about bond my boys now!

The only problem is I have been thinking about a free ads bun and now I have no reason not to try and convince the other half that we should get HIM!

my friend bonded two unneutered males. they were both very very laid back and just seemed to gel living next to each other, so she let them in a run together and they were great, snuggled up with each other. it depends a lot on the rabbits personality as to what they will bond with

Back