• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfie (lots of healing vibes please)

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday i decieded to take Alfie to my local vet saw the vet that usually treats my dogs.little did i know she has done some rabbit courses!
i took alfie in as he hasnt really been eating,and wanted to know if i needed to make that decision,well she took alfie in for the day
gave him a GA removed all his front teeth(this is where the absess was)
he has had those antibiotic beads put in the absess,had one of his molars removed,and is now on penicillin injections and baytril,i cant belive after nearly 9 months ive finally found a vet that was willing to help him and me!
I couldnt stop crying when i collected him as i had wished id of known all this sooner,ive been syringe feeding him but he is spitting most of it out
anyone that can give me any advice on how to care for him id be most greatfull :)
She also said he has osteo something cant remember what but something to do with the infection in his bone
So please can i have lots of healing vibes for a very special little boy,he has been through so much xx
Just like to add im so greatfull to the vet it should of been around £250 :shock: for everything but with his consultation in the morning and all his treatment it came to £135

aawww get better soon Alfie! glad your vet has been able to help him.. i hope his treatment does the trick

Wishing him all the luck and healing vibes in the world. I hope this treatment works for him. You must be so happy to be able to give him another chance xxxx

Marie i'm so pleased he's had some treatment...it is probably thinning of the bone that he has....here's hoping this vet has given him lots of extra time with you xx

Thank goodness Alfie has found a Vet who understands Bunnies!!

Is he on pain relief aswell as the antibiotic meds?
Also is he drinking? If not could you ask the Vet to show you how to give sub-cutaneous fluids.
What are you syringe feeding him? When Uncle A was so poorly after the tumour was removed from his mouth he really didn't want to know about CC or Science Recovery. However he would take Carrot Puree Baby food diluted with a bit of Bio-Lapis/water. Although not ideal, for a Bun who has had major oral surgery getting anything into them is a bonus.

The pain relief Uncle A had was a high dose of Metacam (injections) as he could not have the opiate pain relief without risking his heart stopping again (as it did under GA)

Hopefully with adequate pain control Alfie will start to eat soon. Uncle A took mushy feeds from a bowl after about 3 days.
Mega healing vibes to Alfie

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:

Also is he drinking? If not could you ask the Vet to show you how to give sub-cutaneous fluids.
What are you syringe feeding him? When Uncle A was so poorly after the tumour was removed from his mouth he really didn't want to know about CC or Science Recovery. However he would take Carrot Puree Baby food diluted with a bit of Bio-Lapis/water. Although not ideal, for a Bun who has had major oral surgery getting anything into them is a bonus.

The pain relief Uncle A had was a high dose of Metacam (injections) as he could not have the opiate pain relief without risking his heart stopping again (as it did under GA)

Hopefully with adequate pain control Alfie will start to eat soon. Uncle A took mushy feeds from a bowl after about 3 days.

Janex
Hiya jane
He had a metacam injection yesterday and ive given him two drops of it today
To be honest im not sure if he is drinking,but i have been syring feeding him the science recovery,he isnt too keen but he is taking a little,he has had some baby food before
Its a bit difficult as he lives with truffle and she eats any food thats left for him

bluebunny said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex
Hiya jane
To be honest im not sure if he is drinking,but i have been syring feeding him the science recovery,he isnt too keen but he is taking a little,he has had some baby food before
Its a bit difficult as he lives with truffle and she eats any food thats left for him

I had that problem with Uncle A and Cerys
Thankfully Cerys wasnt keen on mushy feeds so Uncle A got his fare share.
I would ask your Vet if you can increase the dose of Metacam for a few days (fluids would be essential to support his kidneys)
I have found sub-cut fluid therapy really can help a Bun who has had major surgery. Uncle A had sub-cuts for 3 days post surgery.
Hope Alfie will start to eat a bit better very soon.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
bluebunny said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex
Hiya jane

I had that problem with Uncle A and Cerys
Thankfully Cerys wasnt keen on mushy feeds so Uncle A got his fare share.
I would ask your Vet if you can increase the dose of Metacam for a few days (fluids would be essential to support his kidneys)
I have found sub-cut fluid therapy really can help a Bun who has had major surgery. Uncle A had sub-cuts for 3 days post surgery.
Hope Alfie will start to eat a bit better very soon.

Janex
Truffle eats any food going!
how much metcam should he be having then?

Back