• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny question

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
I am still going to ring the RSPCA shelter tomorrow Re: Poppy but I was just wondering. I have found these bunnies on freeads:

http://household.uk.freeads.net/Gorgeous_Mini_lop_babies!_1-289426.htm#images

I would like to get them both but there is obviously the issue of neutering them. Obviously one would be in the next 3 weeks or so. Would you advise I pass these by or just buy the buck, have him neutered at the right age and then bond a female at a later stage and get her neutered ASAP. Obvs he won't be able to create babies but she is obvs going to have hormones rushing round her and I don't want them to fight.

Any friendly opinions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Shiv

Aw he does look like beautiful Drake :(

Hmmmm well i'm not an expert by any means but I have a feeling that they could mate before it is possible for him to be neutered (around 5 months I believe but think it differs a bit) so you may not be able to keep them together for too much longer anyway.

So, basically when they meet again it will be as though they do not know each other and you'd have to start again.

Perhaps you could look at getting two same sex litter mates? Of course they'd still have to be neutered when they were old enough as they'd fight, but at least they could stay together in the meantime.

As I said I'm not an expert, perhaps others will know differently.

Hmmm when I originally started looking for bunnies I was planning on getting 2 female litter mates and neuter them later but then after reading this board and some other sites I got the impression that a neutered male and female bonded are better. Hmmmmm all a bit confusing. I mean litter mates would be better as I could buy them together, house them and get them neutered at the same time. Hmmmmmmm its confusing all this bunny stuff :)

Just a thought but have you considered getting a bonded pair from a rescue? You wouldn't have to worry about bonding them and they'd already be neutered :D

ShivyRex said:
Hmmm when I originally started looking for bunnies I was planning on getting 2 female litter mates and neuter them later but then after reading this board and some other sites I got the impression that a neutered male and female bonded are better. Hmmmmm all a bit confusing. I mean litter mates would be better as I could buy them together, house them and get them neutered at the same time. Hmmmmmmm its confusing all this bunny stuff :)

Yes a male- female pairing usually works best but as far as I am aware I don't think you could keep them from young and un-nuetered together as they would mate before it is possible to neuter them- you'd have to split them and reintroduce after neutering.

Most people seem to get male-female adults from rescue already neutered, but I know thats not an option for you. There are several people who have same sex pairs- it seems to work best if they're from the same litter.

No probs animusuk - if I could get an already bonded mini breed I would take them like a shot but their really doesn't seem to be any availble in my area. I am keeping my eyes peeled though.

I will keep my eyes out for a pair of litter girlies and see what I can find.

Getting a girl first and trying to bond another bunny is likely to be a real nightmare won't it? I am just wondering in case I am able to adopt the one at the RSPCA......

Shiv

ShivyRex said:
. Getting a girl first and trying to bond another bunny is likely to be a real nightmare won't it? I am just wondering in case I am able to adopt the one at the RSPCA......

Shiv

It doesn't have to be a problem, if you got a girlie bun, then neutered her when she was old enough, you could then take her to your local RSPCA/rescue/sanctuary for a dating session, she'll find a hunky male that she likes :D

If you have a very experienced vet they'll neuter boys at around 12 weeks.

One thing I would be wary of is lops are prone to teeth problems, the particular ad you've linked to is for a cross breed so you won't be able to rely on a history you'd get from a recommened BRC breeder. You can't see back teeth problems just by opening the mouth and they might not be apparent in babies that age anyway.

If you go to a rescue the rabbits are usually health checked and with slightly older bunnies any problems should already be apparent.

If you do go to a breeder I'd recommend against going through the small ads. Get a recommendation from someone. Try visiting your local show and ask around for one.

Tam

Back