• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warning flies laying eggs all over rabbits!

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
Putting this here rather than care as more people will read it.
My fosterer rang me tonight to warn me she had come home from work and gone to groom one of her rabbits and found fly eggs on the bunny's back :shock:
Now her buns are the most spoilt buns I know....very clean and have free run of her garden so not even shut up in a small space for part of day.
She was horrified as she said "I know people check bums and sometimes dewlaps but would most people think to groom the rabbits back?"
She only found them through brushing and said if she hadn't groomed her tonight she probably wouldn't have noticed them :( With this warm weather there are so many flies about and they are obviously laying eggs all over the place...so please make extra sure you check your bunnies every day ALL over and high levels of housekeeping are essential.

i remember Jaypot, i think it was.. said once that one of their rabbits had flystrike on his head :shock:

Ive got a fly repellent on my windowsill in the bunny room, its just a citronella smelling thing.. and i havent seen a fly in their room since

How awful. I think I'll get one of those things Diddeen's got, there's a big fly in here at the moment. I'm trying to get my dog to kill it. Horrid things!

I had Brian outside for a while this evening and there was a fly that kept landing on his back :evil: I brought him in and gave him a good groom, I thought they might've been attracted to him as he's not 100% but from reading this I guess not. Horrid flies :x

OMG. That's really worrying. Honey won't let me near her still. I'm going to be paranoid now. I do her bum now by lifting up her tail when she least expects it but there is NO WAY she will let me groom her.

Flystrike can really happen to any bun any where :cry: my bun Bilbo died after complications due to flystrike and he was a CLEAN bunny, everything around him was SPOTLESS and he was a HOUSE bunny. I really could not believe it could happen to him :( I had never even seen a fly in my room :?
Everyone thinks only neglected buns get it, but that's not true.
I think it's only big flies ( bluebottles) which cause it :?

Its horrible :evil: .

I hardly ever see flies but virtually every day recently I have found fly eggs in my cats food (she always just licks the jelly off and leaves the meat :roll: ) and a couple of times they've hatched overnight in her bowl (Need a sick smiley!)

Melndan, if Honey won't let you pick her up it might be worth using rearguard.

I am going to spray all of my hutches again today, I use Indorex spray, it has recently been approved to use on rabbit hutches, does anyone else use it?

This has me worried now,Oscar is a very clean indoor bun too, but lately there have been loads of flys about :(

What is rear guard and where can I get it from?

hunnybun said:
I am going to spray all of my hutches again today, I use Indorex spray, it has recently been approved to use on rabbit hutches, does anyone else use it?

Whats that and where do I get it from? I disinfect the hutch daily whch helps keep the flies away but I still worry.

I spent ages with the buns yesterday and Honey is now letting me give her a nose rub but after about 4 strokes, she's off!!!!
We'll get there eventually!

Suzi Wong said:
This has me worried now,Oscar is a very clean indoor bun too, but lately there have been loads of flys about :(

What is rear guard and where can I get it from?

Reaguard is prescription only from your vets- its usually only used for buns more subsepitible (sp??) to flystrike- ie) old/ill/teeth problems, so if Oscar is happy for you to check him twice a day then that should be ok.

It is actually greenfly that is the most common cause of flystrike in rabbits. Bayer (I think) are running a huge servey this year, when flystrike buns come in we send them a sample of the maggots and fill out a huge questioner with the owner covering every little detail and they are compiling a study on the type of fly, prevention etc. The results should be out by the end of the year/early next year I believe.
We have so far had 4 blown rabbits this year, a lot less than last year but still too many :cry:

Edit: By the way not me personally! My pratice!

bizzy_vicki said:
It is actually greenfly that is the most common cause of flystrike in rabbits. Bayer (I think) are running a huge servey this year, when flystrike buns come in we send them a sample of the maggots and fill out a huge questioner with the owner covering every little detail and they are compiling a study on the type of fly, prevention etc. The results should be out by the end of the year/early next year I believe.
We have so far had 4 blown rabbits this year, a lot less than last year but still too many :cry:

Edit: By the way not me personally! My pratice!

Are you sure you mean green fly? They're tiny- i always believed they hatched as mini adults straight from the egg?? And I thought greenfly only ate plants?

Back