• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harnesses?????

Would you use a harness on your rabbit?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Only when supervised in the garden, and if it was unsafe for them not to have 1 on

• Total voters

lucyj

Mama Doe
What does everyone think about the little harnesses u get for rabbits?

I like to let H&H out in the garden evryday for a while, but the fences at either side are only 3 strands of wire about 1/2 a ft aprt, and open onto other people's gardens. it's a council property, and communal, so I can't alter the fences. One lady who bought her house has put up a solid fence on her part, which backs onto mine closest to where I have the hutches. To begin with they just styed in that end and that's fine, but lately Harly's taken to bounding right off into the neighbours garden, and I have a job catching him. I've been tempting him with food then catching him, but he's got wise to that now. yesterday I only got him cuz he got stuck under their tree :oops: , but it worries me as they have a cat which is quite predatory, and next door to that again there's a dog. When they were down in the bottom end, I could catch them as soon as I heard the cats bell, but that's more difficult now. So I thought if I got some of the little harnesses and some of the dog's leads which extend really long, they could still have their freedom in the garden, but if they stravyed too far or the cat came I could get them up quick. What does everyone think? Obviosuly they would still get access to there run most of the day without them on, so it's not like the only time they got out of their hutch would be on harness.

I read a very heated debate about Bunny Harnesses on another Forum :shock:
I am personally NOT in favour of them. I think a Bun should be allowed to exercise on their own terms in a safe enclosure.
I have seen Bunnies who appear to be quite happy on a harness but I just dont like the idea. I even once saw someone walking their Bun on a harness in a public park :shock: Lose dogs EVERYWHERE :shock:
I'd be interested to hear what other RU members think.

Janex

I'm not a fan of Rabbit harnesses at all.

Some time ago I heard about a Rabbit who got one of its hind legs stuck in the harness. Luckily the owner was on hand to free the Rabbit quickly but I dread to think what would have happened if the owner had not of acted so swiftly. The Rabbit could of quite easily of broken its leg.

Louise

If it's just in your garden, which you feel is unsafe for them to be in without it then I say go for it. I think it's a good idea.

I don't like the idea at all, I'd much rather let them run around and make sure the environement I've given them for exercise is safe.

I know my buns would hate to be strapped up in a harness.

I use a harness for my two when i take them to my parents. its the only way i can let them in their garden. We dont go there often enough to get an outdoor run and nala particularly would be impossible to catch with nothing. I put their harness and lead on but let them run around and i follow.. i wouldnt let them run around in them without watching them very closely in case they got tangled.. but it means i can get hold of them easier with them. holding the lead just doesnt work unless u get one of those extendable ones as they will suddenly dart to the other end of the garden and i cant keep up! My two are certainly fine with me putting them on and they always appear happy and relaxed in the garden using it.

Yeah that's what I intended to have an extendable lead, and it would only ever be whilst I was in the garden with them watching closely, as it is now. Their run is 4ft square, which I feel is ample for daytime use but I know they love getting out for a run in the big garden, which unless I can come up with a better option will have to stop as I cannot risk there safety with the predatory cat and the dog on the other side, but I would be so unhappy with this and so would they. Yesterday when I let them out, the upstairs neighbours cat came out, I tried to pick Harly up but he bolted and ran straight at the cat! Luckily, it's not predatory and doesn't bother with the rabbits at all, but I dread to think what may have happened if it was the next door neighbours cat :( . He would have pounced on him for sure. They would never be at the park or on the street or anything with them on, only supervised in the garden. I just can't think or what else to do. Like I said, I can't change the fences as it's council and communal property. I just don't know what to do :cry: :? :cry: :?

My first rabbit I had went on a lead and harness we mainly used it when we took him to the vets he would sit on my knee while my mum drove there. He got really stressed in a carry case but I wanted some control over him so a harness was the only option. He did however have the run of the living room and my bedroom where no harness was used.

my old bunny Bilbo had a harness as I wanted to introduce him to the garden slowly. as he was free range I didn't want him to panic and run away. He managed to chew through those stupid fabric leads you get with them in 2 bites :shock: luckily he didn't run away or panic, just playfully skipped around. I would hate for someone to use one in public as they are not very secure for this reason, not only are there dogs around who wouldn't care if bunny was on a lead or not, but they can chew through the lead and escape :shock:

I don't like them either. I agree with Jane that they should be allowed to exercise on their own terms. They can never feel free if they are attached to one of those harnesses.. sorry, don't like them at all.

Back