• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits rabbits everywhere

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
:( :(
My waiting list is now up to 51! and those are only the people who are prepared to wait and I know some of these won't :(
Tracy and Jane must get fed up with me passing on their numbers but don't know what else to do..the other 2 "rescues" in Leicester are not places I'd send a rabbit and the RSPCA are not taking in any either..until Oct.....
So many " my rabbit has had a litter...can you take them?" ME "have you kept the male away from the mum?" them "yes except when they go for a run in the garden!" :evil:
and "I'm going on holiday on Saturday and need to get rid of my 3 rabbits!" :evil: :cry:
Adoptions have slowed due to the holiday period I think and that's the same reason so many are being given away :(
Have permanent bruise from hitting my head against a wall and for anyone thinking of starting a small rescue......be warned this is more than a full time job...it's not the hutch cleaning or grooming ..it's the constant phone calls from people who seem to be lacking any common sense or care for their pets...I go to sleep worrying about the ones on the list ..the ones that won't wait...the ones that have been here too long....and the ones that I will no doubt be asked about next week.....I think I need to toughen up.......rant over..sorry :oops: :(

Aww Jill. You do a fantastic job and I can understand how frustrating it must be for you. I wish there was something I could do to help. i think a chat with Dan is in order!!!

Jill

The bun that's with me can stay with me for as long as necessary, so drop her off your waiting list if you want. The guinea pig is ok for a bit, but I can see if anyone else can take her??

If these kits survive, i will just have to buy more cages if necessary.

Think there's a few Rescues in same boat at present. :?

One morning an elderly man was walking on a nearly deserted beach. He came upon a boy surrounded by thousands and thousands of starfish. As eagerly as he could, the youngster was picking them up and throwing them back into the ocean.

Puzzled, the older man looked at the young boy and asked, "Little boy, what are you doing?"

The youth responded without looking up, "I'm trying to save these starfish, sir."

The old man chuckled aloud, and queried, "Son, there are thousands of starfish and only one of you. What difference can you make?"

Holding a starfish in his hand, the boy turned to the man and, gently tossing the starfish into the water, said, "It will make a difference to that one!"

(source unknown)

Your doing a grand job Jill

Janex

arh i am quite lucky i only have one on the list :lol: :lol: have trouble saying no any if they have a hutch they can come, although we are full now :shock: :shock: so have started a list, i was up until midnight yesterdy a feeding and cleaning but am on a definate go slow today with a steaming headache :cry: :cry: :cry:

the excuses are started to get right up my kilt, "i havent got time to clean all these hutches" one lady said (she had two :roll: :roll: ) with 4 bunnies in them, but they DONT mind passing them on to me to clean :cry: :cry: :cry: "i am going on holiday" (lucky gits, i cant cause i am stuck at home looking after their rabbit PERMINANTLY NOW! :roll: :roll:

Aww thanks Jane and Mel and Angie....I know other rescues are in the same boat...just gets to me sometimes and the last couple of days had sooo many calls about accidental litters :(
Also getting calls about sick rabbits and ones needing regular dentals...sad thing is I can't take any in that situation as have 2 here that no one wants due to their teeth...so really worry about those.....
nevermind off to cuddle the ones that are here..and shampoo a gorgeous gp..Norman..so I'm sure I'll feel better in a bit :D

Aww Jill, sorry to read you are feeling so pressured right now. I do hope things get easier for you and rehoming picks up soon, so you can take in more from your waiting list. I have heard its quite bad this time of year with the holidays looming and people wanting to off load the pets. :evil:

Sadly I think when you do rescue work it is just never ending and although it has its rewarding side there is so much more going on in the background that takes a lot out of you.

I hope you can find a happy medium between the two, its not easy though.

Have you considered having your own rehoming website ??? I found this the other day for doing your own and it is so easy to make your own site with.

http://www.tripod.lycos.com/

None of that complicated web html code needed or anything you just sign up, and insert text and pics where you want. I have no knowledge of web pages but even after a bit of playing around managed to create a web site for work! Its worth having a look. :D

Might help advertise your bunnies for rehoming more ? you could even have sponsor bunnies... for those you cant rehome due to health problems. ?

Wish there was someway I could help ???

Deb x

oh Jill, keep your chin up, you do a great job. If there is anything I can do to help, give me a ring...I am still off work for another week or two and would be happy to do some hutch cleaning or any other menial task whilst the kids are at school if that would help :wink:

Angie65 said:
The guinea pig is ok for a bit, but I can see if anyone else can take her??

Angie, what sex is the guinea, definately female?

Keep your chin up Jill you do a fabulous job, many rabbits have been saved by you, just look at little Molly who can now hop again :D

Gem said:
Angie65 said:
The guinea pig is ok for a bit, but I can see if anyone else can take her??

Angie, what sex is the guinea, definately female?

Keep your chin up Jill you do a fabulous job, many rabbits have been saved by you, just look at little Molly who can now hop again :D

I was told it was female. I'm definitely not up on sexing pigs! :lol:

Deb..re website ..several reasons why one isn't done yet..one of them being I worry that the response to handing more in will get just ridiculous..not that it isn't already..
..by the way Norman is lovely and looking better now he has had a wash and brush up :D

Angie65 said:
I was told it was female. I'm definitely not up on sexing pigs! :lol:

Have you any pics? Can you not get the vet nurse to take a peek if you get one to see the bunnies?

If its definately female and you could get 'her' to me, I can take her :)

honeybunny said:
Deb..re website ..several reasons why one isn't done yet..one of them being I worry that the response to handing more in will get just ridiculous..not that it isn't already..
..by the way Norman is lovely and looking better now he has had a wash and brush up :D

ooh sorry Jill never thought of that :oops: just wondered if it would help on the rehoming side... :D

Looking forward to hearing more about Norman :thumb: ..got any new pics of him after his pampering session ??

Deb x

Cavyslave said:
honeybunny said:

ooh sorry Jill never thought of that :oops: just wondered if it would help on the rehoming side... :D

Looking forward to hearing more about Norman :thumb: ..got any new pics of him after his pampering session ??

Deb x

from my exerience you get mucked about more as well, i have had loads of people book appointment "spur of the moment kinda thing" and then dont bloody turn up :roll: :twisted: :twisted:

Deb..poor little Norman has sore feet and a strange place near his gland..at tail stump?!..I know this can sometimes get oily but this looks like it might need checking by vet..so he is off to see one tomorrow...I'm not much of a gp expert so any advice as to what it could be?!
Tonight he'll be on vet bed with some sudacrem on his little feet :D

honeybunny said:
Deb..poor little Norman has sore feet and a strange place near his gland..at tail stump?!..I know this can sometimes get oily but this looks like it might need checking by vet..so he is off to see one tomorrow...I'm not much of a gp expert so any advice as to what it could be?!
Tonight he'll be on vet bed with some sudacrem on his little feet :D

Can you take a picture of it ?? it could just be from his grease gland and if hes not been bathed its just got a bit sore!

His feet may be sore from past bedding if he was on shavings as it can dry their skin out. Or it could be the start of bumblefoot ?

If you can take any pics it would be great!

Oooh I hope little Norms ok, got me all worried about the little fella now!

Deb x

oo Jill, ive only just saw this topic. poor you! i cant believe how many you have on the waiting list that really is terrible. i cant believe some people! i could never just give my bunny away, people make me so mad! and its so unfair on the bunnies moving from place to place. one of my bunnies got confused when his garage got took down ready for a new one!! lmao, he hated it! and hes still not use to the new one yet. poor buns! i wish i could help them all. always pray id win the lottery one day so i could have a really big garden in my house and have loads of bunnies!! :(

i do hope i can take one of the females you have in next week off your hands. so that would be one down but it still doesnt do much to the amount you have waiting to come in!! i cant believe the stupidddd people around!

they make me sooo mad!

ok ill shut up now! :(

Thanks Tanya ..and one going to a new home will help :D
Deb will take pics of Norman tomorrow as he's settled for the night now....eating greens :D
Bumblefoot? likes snuffles sounds cute but obviously isn't!

Back