• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you pay for your dentals?CHANGED VET!!!

melaniejb

Mama Doe
We took Albert and Poppy to the vets today for their myxi vaccinations and the vet had a look at their teeth...they need to have their spurs filed next week and it's going to cost us £200 each! The vet said that the actual op only costs about £20 but it's all the GA stuff which costs so much.

We've had problems before - paying £1000 for the diagnosis of E.Cuniculi for example!!!! our vet really seems to care and says that as rabbits are sooooo volatile to problems when under going GA she is meticulous about their pre and post op care and medication. I really don't mind paying that much money if it is for the best care but am wondering how much (if at all) more I am paying than other people?

:shock: That's extortionate! Even with the better anaesthetics etc that sounds WAAAYYY over the top! Average seems to be around £30-40 or so I think. Whereabouts in London are you?

At my vets it cost less than £25 total for a dental, doing molar spurs under GA, and they are excellent with rabbits.

AlisonA said:
:shock: That's extortionate! Even with the better anaesthetics etc that sounds WAAAYYY over the top! Average seems to be around £30-40 or so I think. Whereabouts in London are you?

:shock: :shock: :shock: do you wanna take casper to your vet for me then!??

AlisonA said:
We're in Crouch End, N8. I'm gutted now. do you mean that it costs £30-40 from start to finish, ie drop bunny off, have pre op treatment, operation then post op care? What should I do? i think I'm going to have to call around other local vets to find out how much they estimate for a dental.

melaniejb said:
AlisonA said:
We're in Crouch End, N8. I'm gutted now. do you mean that it costs £30-40 from start to finish, ie drop bunny off, have pre op treatment, operation then post op care? What should I do? i think I'm going to have to call around other local vets to find out how much they estimate for a dental.

Melanie, I know i'm 'up north' but that less than £25 was for EVERYTHING. Another vet did quote £80 though.

bunnylove said:
AlisonA said:

Do you pay a bit more then?

melaniejb said:
AlisonA said:

mine charge nearly what you are gonna be paying! :cry:

bunnylove said:

How much is a dental at your place then? I have no idea how much it costs at mine, haven't needed one for years, but seem to recall it was around £30 last time. I can ask how much for incisor removal if you like, I'm back on Sat a.m. for Nomad's wound check. Nomad had his molars burred while he was being neutered, fortunately they didn't charge me any extra for that :D

mandy said:
melaniejb said:
AlisonA said:

Melanie, I know i'm 'up north' but that less than £25 was for EVERYTHING. Another vet did quote £80 though.

I'd take them to the midlands to save £350!!!!!!

AlisonA said:
bunnylove said:

How much is a dental at your place then? I have no idea how much it costs at mine, haven't needed one for years, but seem to recall it was around £30 last time. I can ask how much for incisor removal if you like, I'm back on Sat a.m. for Nomad's wound check. Nomad had his molars burred while he was being neutered, fortunately they didn't charge me any extra for that :D

about £150 :shock: yes please! :D

bunnylove said:
melaniejb said:
AlisonA said:

That gives me great relief...sorry!!!!!! Didn't want to be the only one with MUG tatooed across my face!!! My mum just texted me to say that the vet must rub his hands when he sees us coming!!!!!

melaniejb said:
bunnylove said:
melaniejb said:
AlisonA said:

That gives me great relief...sorry!!!!!! Didn't want to be the only one with MUG tatooed across my face!!! My mum just texted me to say that the vet must rub his hands when he sees us coming!!!!!

mine too i have paid him more than £2000 in the last 3 months :cry: i would still hunt around for a cheaper vets though, especailly if they are £40/50 else where :shock:

Re: How much do you pay for your dentals?

melaniejb said:
We took Albert and Poppy to the vets today for their myxi vaccinations and the vet had a look at their teeth...they need to have their spurs filed next week and it's going to cost us £200 each! The vet said that the actual op only costs about £20 but it's all the GA stuff which costs so much.

We've had problems before - paying £1000 for the diagnosis of E.Cuniculi for example!!!! our vet really seems to care and says that as rabbits are sooooo volatile to problems when under going GA she is meticulous about their pre and post op care and medication. I really don't mind paying that much money if it is for the best care but am wondering how much (if at all) more I am paying than other people?

THATS A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT!! :shock: :shock:

What exactly do they do pre and post-op to justify that.
I said it about the EC episode you had and I say it again YOU ARE BEING FLEECED!!

I pay £30 for a dental which INCLUDES the GA.
I would ask for an ITEMISED Estimate. I really think to charge that amount is taking the proverbial :x

Janex

i paid £30 for dentals too!! thats incredible!! especially if you have to have them done regularly, how could anyone afford that!!

I'd faint if I were charged £200 per dental. I pay from about £60-£90 per dental depending on how much work is neaded. That includes the initial consultation fee to decide what the problem is.

Crikey I can get 10 male Rabbits neutered for £200! :shock: :shock:

For a dental I pay between £40-70 depending on the amount of work needed.

Louise

bunnylove said:
about £150 :shock: yes please! :D

I'll ask on Sat, Eve, have you got any particular scenarios or is it just 1)cost of standard molar dental under GA, and 2)cost of incisor extraction?

As they didn't charge me extra during Nomad's neuter, I'd assume that it doesn't cost more than £40 for a normal molar type dental.

PM me if there's anything specific you want to know :wink:

Back