• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grief and Aggression?

anon101

Banned
Hi Folks,

Scarlet was originally bonded with Stroppy who sadly passed away due to brain damage just over six weeks ago. :cry: They where the most loved up pair of Rabbits I have ever seen and they suited each other down to the ground temperament wise, as they were both a bit grumpy and really confident.

When Stroppy passed away Scarlet was a changed Rabbit. She spent a week sat in the back of her cage. She was really timid and didn’t get involved in anything. Her trademark grunting also stopped.

A few weeks ago I found her a boyfriend Owen. They hit it off straightaway and were becoming firm friends. I went away for a week in Germany last week and sadly while I was away Owen passed away. :cry:

Steve my OH who was looking after my Rabbits at the time said when he went into the cage to removed Owen’s body Scarlet leapt at him as if to attack him. :shock: I think this was probably her been possessive over Owen?

Since then Scarlet has gone from bad to worse. All her old temperament has returned but much worse. All my other Rabbits like to say hello to each other through the cage’s while there are exercising but one girl got a bad bite on her nose from Scarlet when she did so. She’s become hugely possessive over her cage/food bowl and you really have to watch yourself when you’re feeding her etc. :?

I’ve tried Scarlet with two neutered boys in the last few days and she has really gone for them. I’m no shrinking violet when it comes to bonding but she was literally hanging of one poor chap. :shock: Luckily there have been no injuries as I have managed to separate them quickly.

I’m thinking the two recent losses of her friends has made her very insecure and fearful of losing another friend so she’s lashing out at all around her. :?

Unfortunately while she is like this I cant risk bonding a Rabbit with her as I fear it will end in a serious injury. I feel so sorry for her and I want her to be happy. :( :( At the moment she’s got a dog crate to herself and several hours free run of the Rabbit room everyday.

Maybe with time she will accept another friend?

Louise

Aww Louise, i have a bun like Scarlett, Pan she ahs lost every bun she has ever been bonded with and with each loss she became increasingly difficult. After Jack died 9-10 weeks ago i didn't try her with another bun as she was just so nasty! Then Eva came along and i thought it's worth a shot as Eva was bigger than her and Pan has always accepted buns bigger than her with minimle damage! It worked and Pan and Eva are very ahppy and Pans agression and fear are starting to calm down again. I think it will just take a bit of time Louise for Scarlett to come to terms with all that has gone on in her life XXX

Aw poor Scarlett! She's probably fearful that any new bun will die too so doesn't want to get close to anymore and is probably grieving in her won bunny way :(

I think give her time to settle down and maybe in a month or so try her again.....hope she gets better! Lots of hugs for her

My bojangles is just like that too. He lost Mosschops in April and then his new girlfriend, Poppy, in June. He runs away from me if I go near him. He hides behind the TV cabinet and is just generally unhappy.

I am trying to find another bun for him just now. When Poppy got ill I said I wouldn't get another one. But he always had Mossy and then Poppy so he is used to having company. I feel I need to do what is right for him and take the chance again, even though I could get my heart broken again.

Louise and Bojangles

Back