• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what to do for the best?

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
with casper the bunny that had his teeth sticking out of his mouth? story goes i got the vets to cut them to a reasonable lenght :D , but they are twisted at the root :cry: :cry: , so i should imagine they are always gonna be a problem? :? although i have managed to encourage him to eat SS, by soaking it, after the soarness of his dental he is also started to eat veg (no so chopeed up) and hay :D :D :D :D although not as much as i would like with twisted teeth i think anyone would have a problem doin that.

NOW i have spoken to my vet who thinks burring them often would be better than geteting the taken out, as he said he has seen plenty of rabbits over the years die because they have had large pieces of veg in there mouth that they cant chew on? one way to look at it i suppose :shock:

what do you think would be best for bunny and for any prosective adoptor (bet they will be few and far between for him? :cry: :cry:

Sorry I can’t offer any advice on his condition Eve but wishing the little man lots of luck and positive vibes.

Louise

bunnylove said:

NOW i have spoken to my vet who thinks burring them often would be better than geteting the taken out, as he said he has seen plenty of rabbits over the years die because they have had large pieces of veg in there mouth that they cant chew on? one way to look at it i suppose :shock:

:shock:
I would opt for the removal option to be honest. Squidgy had his removed 4 years ago, and has been fine since. He gets his veggies and hay chopped up, alhtough he prefers fresh grass to hay :roll: . Incisorless bunnies are supposed to be more prone to molar spurs, but Squidgy's been fine so far. He's not had to have a dental since the incisor removal, and as of 2 weeks ago, only had the tiniest signs of molar spurs.

If it's his front teeth eve i would have them removed! I had Williams removed and he has been fine ever since

There have been several buns on here with no front teeth - they cope very well as long as their hay is chopped for them and their veg grated or finely chopped.
Personally, if it was my choice, I would have them removed.

In that case I would have the front ones removed, there is no point in them being there and it is only extra stress for him going for regular buring. Will he eat the SS without soaking them? He needs to be eating solid food or he will get problems with the back teeth.

sgprescue said:
In that case I would have the front ones removed, there is no point in them being there and it is only extra stress for him going for regular buring. Will he eat the SS without soaking them? He needs to be eating solid food or he will get problems with the back teeth.

i was going to see how they went and bulid him up again before removing them, but yes he eats SS normal i just soaked it for 2 days ater him op to get him eating

I would think that getting them removed will make him more easily rehomeable, altough the home would need to be able to cope with keeping him clean. No teeth has definite apeal in a house bun :wink: Whereas the ongoing expense of regular burring would put alot of people off - plus the continued stress etc. However you would need to keep him for a while and make sure they don't regrow, that seems to often happen at least once. Both of my toothless buns had regrowth needing another op to remove them.

I have to agree with everyone else and get the teeth removed. He really will benefit from it. My house rabbit Gizmo had to have is front teeth out and the difference it made to him was great, he was eating more of everything

Back