• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good Article

I'm confused - I thought giving them too much veg led to upset tummies, soft poos and so more likely for flystrike? That's why my 2 only get veg in the evening, and Excell pellets in the morning, with Hay all day, as I read in the RSPCA book that this was the best diet for them? :? :? :?

very interesting article. My vet told me to just feed hay and veg and no pellets when Hobbes was slightly overweight. I had cut them out altogether but have now started to give them a small handful each morning because of the cost of veg and having enough time to keep buying fresh veg and room in the fridge for 4 lots! Pellets are much cheaper and more convienient but i'm very careful not to give them too many so they don't get fat.

lucyj said:
I'm confused - I thought giving them too much veg led to upset tummies, soft poos and so more likely for flystrike? That's why my 2 only get veg in the evening, and Excell pellets in the morning, with Hay all day, as I read in the RSPCA book that this was the best diet for them? :? :? :?

It is usually overdoing it on the dry food that causes the problems, not the veg. Dry food can often be low in fibre and a bunny's digestive system is not designed to cope with large quantities of mix or pellets. They are however equiped to deal with plenty of hay, grass and veg :thumb:

I cut right back on pellets in the summer. Fortunately all mine love hay, so they have lots of hay, with a handful of pellets, greens in the morning, a little carrot at night with brocoli or cauliflower.
They all seem to be thriving on this. I think it's the huge consumption of hay!

I give mine 2 handfuls of pellets each in the morning, and a handful of veg each at night, I was worried if I was overfeeding them or not, so asked the vet on friday when they were there for VHD vaccs, he felt around their spines and ribs, and checked their weights (Honey's 1.8kg, Harly's 1.7kg), and he said they were fine for their age, and not to change anythin I'm doing. Is he wrong?

Back