• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how can you tell if a bun has a blind eye??

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya
as most of you know Gypsy's eye is still in a poorly state after having her upper and lower eyelids ripped in a fight :cry: :cry: :cry: . The eye is not as swollen, but around the eye lid rim is still very red and " lumpy," where it has been stitched together :( I don't think it will ever look the same again :( :( :( She some times keeps this eye closed or half open, while the other one is wide open. I'm not sure if the poorly one is reacting to light and dark :? how will I know if she is blind in this eye? and how long will it take to heal? do you think she should still be on anitibiotics or pain relief? the vet just sent us home on friday telling me she was fine :(

Heulwens going blind and her eye is cloudy. usually they get a white cloudy look, its easier to tell between a cataracs (sp?) because they are one solid white patch and blindness the whole eye goes cloudy.

Shouldnt worry too much, my old rat my cousin owns now is blind in both eyes and she lives fine. They are very good at adapting to life blind and if its only one eye then there isn't much to worry about :D She'll still be a happy bunster.

But then again if its cloudy one moment and clear the nexts it sounds like it might be something else :?

Betsy Mae was born partially blind through having cateracts I fisrt noticed something wasn't right when I was wiggling my fingers for her to come to me at 5wks old she had no idea I was there then she ran into the carry case door. So I sat her on my knee then moved my finger really slowly towards each eye in turn to see if a) she moved her head, b) she blinked, neither happened so I took her to the vets. He then confermed my worries that she was at least partially blind. She hasn't got any problems finding her way around you really wouldn't know unless I told you that she was partially sighted. I do have to make sure that when she's running around my room theres nothing thin that she can run into like a airer or carry case door as she can't seem to see anything thinner than a finger.

It's amazing how well they adapt to having a blind eye or any other disability. The strange thing is, Gypsys eye has healed remarkably well since I bought an air cooler :? all the swelling has gone down, except a bit of swelling on the top lid where the stitches are. Her eye is not cloudy and she has is open now :D

My bun Manny has a cataract in his right eye and the vet said he's probably completely blind in that eye ... but unless it was cloudy you really wouldn't know! He doesn't hold his head funny, shoots around the house and garden like a mad thing and never bumps into anything.

The only thing I've noticed is that he doesn't like to go up and down stairs and isn't very good at judging how far down things are - he'll hesitate for ages when jumping off the sofa because he's not sure whether the ground is 50 cm or 50 metres down! Having said that ... he's always been like that, since way before the cataract showed up.

I've also noticed that none of my rabbits blink or move away if I move my finger towards their eyes. I guess they just trust me and know I'm not going to poke them in the eye! :D

How's Gypsy now? Has she been back to the vet? If she's in pain she'll probably be acting quietly and not eating well. I know it's sad to think her eye might not get better/look lovely - I felt like that about Manny too because he's my perfect little baby bun. But I've got used to his cloudy eye really.

Anna x

Cloudiness and how easily it responds to actions that side of the eye. I guess it depends if they're completely or partially blind. As mentioned already they can get cataracts

Back