• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adoping an Elderly Bunster-a Recommendation

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Over the years I have adopted a few older Buns from various Rescues. They really do make wonderful companions. They are less scatty than the youngsters and generally take life at a slightly more sedate pace. Although they can have their 'hyper' moments :shock: :lol:
Even though I know adopting/long-term fostering an elderly Bun means our time together is likely to be relatively short I would not miss it for the world!!
Old Buns have a certain 'something' and I find them a joy to care for.
The oldest Bun I have adopted was the late Ruffles. He was 10 when he moved in with us and we had almost 3 years together :D
So, if you are considering adopting a Bun from a Rescue, dont overlook the oldies. What your time together may lack in QUANTITY will be more than compensated by its QUALITY.

OLD BUNS RULE OK!!
:D :D

Janex

I had a lady phone me the other day looking for a "bunny", I said I didn't have any, and told her about fife rabbit recsue, she was not happy, "I want a baby not an adult" :shock: .

I explained that sometimes the rescue has babies and that they will always grow up to be adults that can live 10+,

Not happy with my answer she slammed the phone down on me.

Older buns need love too!!!

Silly woman, prob went to P+H and got one!! :?

Here , Here

I have a group of older bunnies which live together and hope to add more so that they live their last few years in happy surroundings.

Maureen

I agree Jane. Anyone looking for a deaf, arthritic 4-year old minilop? :wink:

Seriously though, I think this equally applies to other animals. Cat rescues are overflowing with senior cats meaning that their ability to help others is also restricted. I love older cats, we will definitely get another one or two when Sooty, my 19 year old cat, passes over the bridge. Older cats have so much character, a tad of the victor meldrew, but they don't wander and they can't jump up on your kitchen surfaces!

AlisonA said:
I agree Jane. Anyone looking for a deaf, arthritic 4-year old minilop? :wink:

Seriously though, I think this equally applies to other animals. Cat rescues are overflowing with senior cats meaning that their ability to help others is also restricted. I love older cats, we will definitely get another one or two when Sooty, my 19 year old cat, passes over the bridge. Older cats have so much character, a tad of the victor meldrew, but they don't wander and they can't jump up on your kitchen surfaces!

I was about to say that about other animals. People are obssessed with kittens, rather than thinking which animal is best for their household and lifestyle- ie) an older more relaxed cat is often much better for an elderly person than a lively kitten who wants lots of attention and play time.
I recently fostered two gorgeous 10 year old cats who were overlooked for 3 months, because of their age but eventually they were adopted by an elderly lady living on her own who had recently lost her 19 year old cat- the perfect home for them :D .

As soon as I'm in a more stable environment and can have all the pets my heart desires I'll be getting older animals. I've signed up as a volunteer at my lancaster rescue so I can go give the older cats love and attention. I feel so sorry for them being disrupted at their age when they should be relaxing.

If I had the choice of a bun in a rescue i'd pick a older one cause you know they are going be there longer than the younger ones.

Good post Jane! :thumb: I always get attracted to older animals, I always feel so sorry for them being in rescues and want to bring them all home with me! When I'm older I would love to foster some older bunnies and give them they love they deserve for the rest of their lives. :D

Excellent post jane!!!! I adopted Oakley last november at 6 years old and she iss a wonderful bunny! I love her to bits and then in feb this year i adopted iris at 6-7 years and she again is wonderful!!!!! I love them to bits!! And i find the older my bunnies get the more loving they become!

Brilliant post Jane! :thumb:

One thing I think people should be aware when taking on an older animal is the increased chance of vet bills due to age related problems. I've got two older Rabbits that have already cost me well over £100.00 in vet bills and that figure is set to double by the end of this week.

Louise

Yes, I guess potential Vet Bills are an issue with older Buns. But then again a youngster can turn out to be high maintainance too.
I have to say that I incured no expense at all with Ruffles (whom I adopted when he was 10) for the three years he was here. Well apart from his vaccinations. He was never poorly.
Uncle A has been a different story altogether. I dread to think the REAL cost of the op' he had to remove the oral tumour. Plus the previous op' to sort out his teeth. Thankfully we have a lovely vet.......

Janex

I've told a lot of people lately how guinea pigs improve with age. The babies are just daft terrified little creatures, but after a year or two they learn how to fix you with 'the eye' demanding their food and don't bother to run even when you walk past them when they are on the ground. (I almost stepped on Wanda last night at bedtime, it was getting dark by the time I got to them :oops: )

Everyone wants the babies for children, which is such a mismatch :cry:

I won't rehome babies of either species. (And I have a fair few of each - I took in 11 baby rabbits (and their Mums and Dad and older siblings) and a pregnant doe 2 days ago :shock: )

before i got my lovely bridge bunnies I enquired about adopting two older buns as assumed they would have been in rescue ages and wanted to rehome some who didn't have much of a chance of leaving, but the rescue I spoke to said they actually found them fairly easy to rehome as people felt sorry for them (I know this isn't the case with most rescues though.)

Also, with how long rabbits can live to, i think people should think of their circumstances possibly changing- ie) a baby bunny brought when a child is aged 10 could still be alive when they're going off to university, so it would be better to adopt an older bunn who will live out it's life happily with one owner.
Sadly as we know, there are too many people who do not take this into account.

doorkeeper said:
I've told a lot of people lately how guinea pigs improve with age. The babies are just daft terrified little creatures, but after a year or two they learn how to fix you with 'the eye' demanding their food and don't bother to run even when you walk past them when they are on the ground. (I almost stepped on Wanda last night at bedtime, it was getting dark by the time I got to them :oops: )

Everyone wants the babies for children, which is such a mismatch :cry:

I won't rehome babies of either species. (And I have a fair few of each - I took in 11 baby rabbits (and their Mums and Dad and older siblings) and a pregnant doe 2 days ago :shock: )

GULP!! :shock:
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you!!

Janex

Hi all
I got a rescue bunny age 4, last summer, she was probably the oldest bun there, but somehow I was drawn to her. I wasn't particularly looking for a baby as I had just lost my beloved rabbit chloe aged ten and a half, but getting this rabbit was the best decision i ever made. Once she got home with me her true personality came through and she eased the pain of my loss. I've had a few rabbits over the years, usually from babies, but this one in particular has got even more into my heart than any of the others! She is the nicest rabbit i've ever known, so kind, gentle and affectionate. You shouldn't have favourites I know, but I just can't help it. The lady at the rescue was so pleased I chose her as she said that usually people want babies and that older ones often don't get picked. I would always advise people to consider a mature bun.

It seems funny to non-bunny people just how much I love her, she is an absolute pleasure to have in my life. This is definately the way forward for me now. :D

Bonniebunny

Back