• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny eye

Aliandbuns

Mama Doe
Piper had a mildly runny eye yesterday so I bathed it. Today it looks fine. Should I bathe it again just to be sure or just leave it alone? He is fine in all other respects. What can a runny eye be a sign of - is it likely just to be a slight eye infection or could it be something worse?

Thanks

It was funny after I bathed his eye - he stormed off in a huff and shoved his head under Molly's chin to be groomed. She started grooming his head which was a little wet from being bathed in salty water. She looked very confused and then started grooming his back instead. :lol:

Just bathe it when it's runny I think. It could be a sign of a tooth problem. The roots sometimes gro upand can push on the tear ducts.
We've been having this problem with Squidgy recently. Bless 'em!

we took our bunnie tigger to the vets with a bad eye , and the vets said that she would give her eye drops, and it helped for a little while, and then one day i was looking it up on google and it said * rabbits will allways have runny eyes, due to the dusty hay* but if your bunniedoent normaly have a runny eye then get some drops fom the vets or bye some * eye balm* from ur pet shop if they have it. xxx good luck,.. and yes do keep her/his eye clean by baything it xxx

oh!! and! she/he might have an eye ulcer , u would not no she had one unless her eye was runny and frm the side here eye looks sort of blue, xxxx and it is treaterble because one of ma bunnies had one once x all the vet does it put a colour drop in there eye and gets a ear-bud, and cleans the eye and it will make the ulcer go a clolour to show there is one there. xx and then they treat it, good luck.

Back