• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is Myxomatosis Prevelent in the USA

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I am reading a thread on a US based Forum and it sounds like the poor Bun has Myxo BUT has just been treated with Penicillin as Vet thinks its Treponamatosis (Rabbit Syphyllis) Bun is getting WORSE but I dont know if Myxo is a problem in the US?

Janex

AFAIK it exists there but not to the extent it does here. I'd have thought the symptoms different enough to tell the difference :?

Tamsin said:
AFAIK it exists there but not to the extent it does here. I'd have thought the symptoms different enough to tell the difference :?

Thanks Tamsin. It really does sound like Myxo but no-one else has mentioned it :? :?

Janex

It's generally pretty rare, although it does exist in some of the wild rabbit populations on the West Coast. Considering how much time I've spent on US rabbit forums, including Etherbun, and it hasn't come up yet except for a bit of paranoia...

We also have the rare case of VHD. There was an outbreak last year, and hundreds of rabbits at a mill-type farm had to be put down to contain it. :cry:

Back