• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run/Pen - What Do Use To Cover Tops?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I brought Merlin a puppy pen yesterday which is perfect for him as it's easy to put up/take down & I can use it indoors (in this awful weather I'm bringing him in) but I haven't got anything to cover over the top.

The sides are quite high but I'd be happier having something over to stop him contemplating jumping/keep anything else out of it - what do you all use??
Yesterday I attached folded sheets with pegs which worked pretty well but having seen those pens where there's like a mesh cover for the top I wondered if anyone knew where I could get something similar?? Otherwise, any other tips would be appreciated. :thumb:

p.s Roll on these predicated thunderstorms! 8) As much as I hate them I can't cope in this heatwave!! :x 8)

Further wire meshing maybe.

I like your sheet / pegs idea though, I think that's the way I'd use the pen as well.

Yeah the storms should be here tomorrow as forecasted :oops: :shock:

Must remember to put some taupalin over the hutch *mental note*

I have 2 of those puppy pens and got garden netting from b&q and i put this on with pegs. If it gets hot i put a sheet over the top.

Tarpaulin - you can get big tarpaulin sheet from B&Q and it already has eyelets in so can easily be attached to the run with stretchy cord and hooks. If you're going to leave your buns unattended then you should consider something more substantial though, to keep foxes out.

Ooo lots of ideas - thanx for those :thumb:

He was a bit upset yesterday as I had to pop him back in his hutch as we finally got the storms - hurrah (although they caused a major power cut for an hour! Ooopps!) :)

one od my runs is actually 2 extended fire guards put together, I have made a top from 4 bits of wood nailed in a rectangle and stapled mesh to it cause one of mine did jump out and it took hubby three hours to catch her!

Back