• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free ad buns

Denny

Mama Doe
A few of us have been discussing the free ad buns and ways in which we could help in a positive polite manner rather than blaze in there with all guns firing or not being totally honest about where the bun/s final destination will be. With some that have emailed such ads that I can honestly say, deserved the response they got back as anyone who was on the receiving end of a nasty email would inevitable respond back in the same manner.

Don't get me wrong here but I do feel that not every case of the free ad animals are neglected and some really are genuine with their plight to find a good home, it is just that they are un-aware of rescues and lets face it, many who really do care for their animal would rather find a home themselves before resorting to a rescue, its just that they do not know the pitfalls that can bestow the animals future :(

So, having said all this we have compiled 2 e-mails,

1 for jo public to send, they could add some contact details of local rescues to the bottom of it if they like with permission from the rescues :wink: :)

2 for rescues should they have a space to be able to take on the bun/s

The added advantage to this is, hopefully a decent most needed donation would be received by the rescue, most rescues have been doing this to know themselves if some-one is genuine or not and it is upto them whether they feel the animals welfare outways the donation so that is left in their court. However, if a free ad advertiser should object to paying a set donation to a rescue then a polite email back pointing out that this is a small price to pay considering what they would of paid purchasing the animal but to be honest we think the e-mail says it all and would be enough :wink: :D

With Tree setting up the free ad sticky in the rabbit in need section, if everyone thought it was a good idea then maybe it could be incorporated into that section so that people could copy it and use or put it on their website.

It really needs one for g/piggies but we are not to up on our knowledge of g/pigs so anyone wishing to write a similar e-mail for the piggies, feel free :wink:

I must add that some-one else has already used part of this e-mail to a free ad and the response was really good, the lady wrote

thank you very much for your advice about the live food issue. I was unaware of that, I will have a look at those websites, all we want is for our pets to be rehomed in the best possible place, would be devastated if that would happen to them. Thanks again, keep up the good work in informing people, I will do likewise, sincerely, Claire

Anyway here is the 1st e-mail for the public to use

Dear Owner

I stumbled across your advertisement for a home required for your rabbit/s free of charge.

I am a member of various rabbit chat rooms and regularly discuss issues and ways of helping regarding rabbit welfare and safety.

Many people do not know that there are rescues purely for rabbits and gineau pigs and other small animals.

As heartbreaking as it is to come to the decision to re-home a beloved pet due to circumstances un-seen, many of us are conerned that, owners are un-aware of the pitfalls that can bestow an animal advertised for free.

this is just to name but a few:-

breeding
live snake food (although illegal, it still happens sadly)
Hare coursing
Grey hound racing
Cooking (rabbit is still a delicacy amongst those who eat it)

The reason I am writing is so that you may prefer to consider contacting a rescue whom will, vaccinate, neuter/spey before adoption. Home checks are taken out by the rescue to assure that they go to loving safe homes. Most do end up with a bunny friend as they are very socialable creatures.

Rescues do charge a donation fee per animal but this is a small price to pay to ensure your pet is in safe hands and well cared for. Rescues run at a loss providing for the animal and cost of neuter/spey and vaccinations but at least the donation fee helps to pay part of the vaccination costs.

Sadly, people are un-aware of the time and cost of looking after rabbits which is partly down to the lack of information provided upon purchase, which is probably why there are so many looking for new homes.

Most rescues are full and having waiting lists but just wanted to give you the opportunity of at least trying this route for the health and safety of your rabbit/s.

There is a list of rescues at http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/index.asp - A-Z list of rescues along with listings of people and rescues trying to find homes for their rabbit/s.

I hope I have not offended you by sending this email, it certainly is not intended, I just have the animals welfare at heart as I am sure your do to.

Best Wishes

?????

and this one is what rescues could email should they have space for the animal, obviously the rescues details would need to be filled in and piggy bit is optional :wink:

Dear Owner

I stumbled across your advertisement for a home required for your rabbit/s free of charge.

I run a rescue for rabbits and guinea pigs and I am also a member of various rabbit chat rooms and regularly discuss issues and ways of helping regarding rabbit welfare and safety.

Many people do not know that there are rescues purely for rabbits and guinea pigs and other small animals.

As heartbreaking as it is to come to the decision to re-home a beloved pet due to circumstances un-seen, many of us are concerned that, owners are un-aware of the pitfalls that can bestow an animal advertised for free.

This is just to name but a few:-

Breeding
Live snake food (although illegal, it still happens sadly)
Hare coursing
Grey hound racing
Cooking (rabbit is still a delicacy amongst those who eat it)
Dog meat
Live bait/training for birds of prey

The reason I am writing is so that you may prefer to consider contacting a rescue whom will, vaccinate, neuter/spey before adoption. Home checks are taken out by the rescue to assure that they go to loving safe homes. Most do end up with a bunny friend as they are very social creatures.

Rescues do charge a donation fee per animal but this is a small price to pay to ensure your pet is in safe hands and well cared for. Rescues run at a loss providing for the animal and cost of neuter/spey and vaccinations but at least the donation fee helps to pay part of the vaccination costs.

Sadly, people are un-aware of the time and cost of looking after rabbits which is partly down to the lack of information provided upon purchase, which is probably why there are so many looking for new homes.

Most rescues are full and having waiting lists but just wanted to give you the opportunity of at least trying this route for the health and safety of your rabbit/s.

I currently have space in my rescue should you like to take this option. Please do not hesitate to contact me on telephone number or email address if I can help in anyway.

There is also a list of rescues at http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/index.asp under ‘List of Rescues’ along with listings of people and rescues trying to find homes for their rabbit/s.

I hope I have not offended you by sending this email, it certainly is not intended, I just have the animal’s welfare at heart as I am sure you do to.

Best Wishes

And finally (and then I will shut up :lol: :lol: ) Please do not take offence here Tamsin as you have created an excellent site in Rabbit Rehome but the question has to be asked (not to Tamsin that is :lol: ) is RR any better than the free ads :?: Jo public are listing their animals for free on RR at the end fo the day but is the potential new home going to have the pitfalls the free ad buns may encounter :? :? Would it be a good idea for jo public listing their buns on it to either, a/ pay a set fee per animal so that Tamsin could decide what happens to the funds or b/ require a fee that will go to a rescue of their choice?

And, last but not least (then I really will shut up :lol: :lol: ) would it be a good idea to have a list of fosterers that could foster the emergency cases until space came up in a rescue?

OK thats me finished :wink: :lol:

Hiya Denny

Cool post, yep I agree with your points, I have been somethimes shocked at the posts about free ad buns, I know if ever I had to (god forbid) rehome my buns, I would rather rehome them myself then send them to a rescue and I think it's unfair that people are made to feel bad that they advertise on free ads opposed to rehoming through a rescue. I will speak to Tamsin and Adele about putting copies of the letter in the freeads sticky.

I would worry though that if people were asked for a fee to list their buns on RR that i tmay lead to more buns being set free or dumped, but at the same time I see what you mean.

:D

Think it's a good idea Denny and the letters are well composed :D
I have taken in free ad buns in the past and only feel annoyed if it is obviously a breeder who is continually trying to unload "sub standard stock"..or "rescues" giving away bunnies :(
I will use this letter if I ever have spaces ...and /or the time to browse the free ads! :lol:

Also support these letters being made a sticky in the free ad thread.

I am glad that you feel that it helps, I cannot take all the credit though, others were involved in the discussion, things like the hare coursing and grey hound practice I had never even thought about :cry: :cry: there are other considerations too but as the email says, this is just to name but a few :(

Den, I already have this to send to those on eBay and those one Free Ad's when I have a chance:

Hi, I notice your selling your buns, can I ask why?

Also advertising them on here is not a good idea, many people browse this site and free ads for rabbits to use as snake food, I'm sure you wouldn't want that to happen to your buns.

This site is much better to advertise them on:
www.rabbitrehome.org.uk or register on the forum
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/index.php and we'll do our best to help you find loving homes for them.

Good luck!
Gem x

I edit it as necessary as obviously not all of them are selling the buns.

I've had some really nice replies and a couple of nasty ones, one of the best was when the lady came on here, mentioning that I had reccommended this site and Jill took on her buns :D

thats good to hear Gem :D half the time they are just un-aware of the pitfalls of advertising for free :(

Denny said:
And finally (and then I will shut up :lol: :lol: ) Please do not take offence here Tamsin as you have created an excellent site in Rabbit Rehome but the question has to be asked (not to Tamsin that is :lol: ) is RR any better than the free ads :?: Jo public are listing their animals for free on RR at the end fo the day but is the potential new home going to have the pitfalls the free ad buns may encounter :? :? Would it be a good idea for jo public listing their buns on it to either, a/ pay a set fee per animal so that Tamsin could decide what happens to the funds or b/ require a fee that will go to a rescue of their choice?

It's a valid point and something I've thought about quite a bit. There isn't all that much difference between where you advertise a rabbit (freead, RR, shop window) There's no reason why they can't find their rabbit a perfectly good home via the freeads. I hope the difference with advertising on RR and the reason people refer advertisers there is the information available on rescues, tips on rehoming and the support via the forum. In the end how good a home a rabbit gets is down to the orginal owners effort but hopefully RR gives them a bit of support in the right direction.

I'm not sure that the advertiser paying a fee will help improve the quality of the people making inquires about adoption. The other trouble is that small fee's e.g. 50p-£1 cost quite a bit to process so probably aren't worth the extra admin involved and larger fees like £5 would put people off. I could maybe plug making a donation more when the general public ad/remove a rabbit though.

I'd love to set up a 'rehoming service' where they pay to have someone vet homes and organise the adoption. BUT the organisation, legal stuff and areas involved make it a bit too impractical I think. Maybe a network of RR fosterers will happen sometime in the future ;)

I think those letters are really well written and thought out. A lot of buns from the free-adds are from people who genuinely want their bun/s to go to a home and don't realise that people out there would use them to breed, for food etc. A lot of the free-adds buns are from unscrupulous breeders as well but that will happen anywhere :(
I will use this letter if I may to put on our site and to answer any mails that I get asking us to take in buns - they do not realise that we are a retirement home, they just see us as a bunny rescue (which I admire people for doing but I just can't do that - I couldn't part with them :!: ) :oops: :oops: - these letters would be ideal for people who are trying to rehome their buns and piggies :D
There's been a lot of work gone into that - a wonderful idea and a great idea to about a foster network for urgent cases.

Tamsin said:
Denny said:

It's a valid point and something I've thought about quite a bit. There isn't all that much difference between where you advertise a rabbit (freead, RR, shop window) There's no reason why they can't find their rabbit a perfectly good home via the freeads. I hope the difference with advertising on RR and the reason people refer advertisers there is the information available on rescues, tips on rehoming and the support via the forum. In the end how good a home a rabbit gets is down to the orginal owners effort but hopefully RR gives them a bit of support in the right direction.

Celia @ Kirkby Pet Welfare has commented to me several times that she thinks she gets much better homes from advertising on Rabbit Rehome, perhaps because it shows some forethought on their side- ie) not just looking for a free rabbit, but wanting to find out more about them and their care.
I'm registered with the Nottingham freecycle and there are so many people asking for free hutches at the moment- I dread to think what some rabbits end up in just because the people do not want to spend money on a decent home.

Ace letters Denny :thumb:

Can I just make one small suggestion, in the bit about donations, do you mean the current owner donates? If so:
Rather than 'Rescues do charge a donation fee per animal but this is a small price to pay to ensure your pet is in safe hands and well cared for.'
Perhaps it could be:
'Rescues do charge a donation fee for taking in an animal to be rehomed but this is a small price to pay to ensure your pet is in safe hands and well cared for.'

To me who is easily confused this makes it clearer that it is the current owner who is required to make a donation, not just the adopter x

Excellent letters and I also support the idea of it being made into asticky so its handy :thumb:

Mandy makes a valid point about the wording :thumb:

mandy said:
Tamsin said:
Denny said:

Celia @ Kirkby Pet Welfare has commented to me several times that she thinks she gets much better homes from advertising on Rabbit Rehome, perhaps because it shows some forethought on their side- ie) not just looking for a free rabbit, but wanting to find out more about them and their care.
I'm registered with the Nottingham freecycle and there are so many people asking for free hutches at the moment- I dread to think what some rabbits end up in just because the people do not want to spend money on a decent home.

Ace letters Denny :thumb:

Can I just make one small suggestion, in the bit about donations, do you mean the current owner donates? If so:
Rather than 'Rescues do charge a donation fee per animal but this is a small price to pay to ensure your pet is in safe hands and well cared for.'
Perhaps it could be:
'Rescues do charge a donation fee for taking in an animal to be rehomed but this is a small price to pay to ensure your pet is in safe hands and well cared for.'

To me who is easily confused this makes it clearer that it is the current owner who is required to make a donation, not just the adopter x

If everyone is in agreement I will change the wording on the letter, as I've put copies in the freead sticky in the in need section :D

:D

honeybunny said:
I will use this letter if I ever have spaces ...and /or the time to browse the free ads! :lol:

I'll look at the free ads for you Jill!!
I just emailed about some more :oops: My shed is almost ready :wink:

Angie65 said:
honeybunny said:

:lol: :lol: I can see Angie's Rehoming appearing on the RR list soon! :lol:

honeybunny said:
Angie65 said:
honeybunny said:

:lol: :lol: I can see Angie's Rehoming appearing on the RR list soon! :lol:

God, no, couldn't be bothered with all the work!!!
Will just stick with my pick up/delivery & temporary boarding facility!!!

I think the email/letter is excellent.

I agree that the pit falls of advertising 'free to good home' - snake food etc needs to be mentioned but if more than one person emails the owner the email will need to be personalised, 2 or 3 people cant send the same email or it looks suspicious.

I'm not saying that the seller should be bombarded with emails but if they receive more than one it then shows that there are other people of the same opinion (free to good home - being a bad idea) and that it's not just the thoughts of one rabbit fanatic.

I telephoned a free ads owner not so long ago, she said that someone else had already sent her a text (think it was Angie65) and now that someone else had contacted her with the same advice she was going to take it (the advice)

Just a thought.

Rabswood

good point Rabswood, maybe when a free ad animal comes up on here that it is discussed who should email, preferable some-one who lives close to the location of the bun/s so that the owner feels that they have a local well wisher wanting to help :wink: It might be better for folk to contact rescues in that area first to see if there is space then details of the rescue could go at the bottom or the rescue could contact them themselves :D

The emails do have the RR webby addy in them so any free ad owner can always view this board through that anyway and will see for themselves how strongly folk feel about the free ads and will also see the links and what is written in them :wink:

I must point out here though that the emails can be modified by anyone wishing to use them, you can add or delete bits to suit what contents you wish to send. The person who used it in my first post with a good reply only used part of the email :wink: :D

Denny said:

Tamsin said:

I totally agree, I also feel that by the mere fact they are advertising says they are at least trying to find another home :wink: they just do not realise the consquences in some cases :( Its the one's that are not advertised that you wonder what their fete is/became :(

Tamsin said:
I'm not sure that the advertiser paying a fee will help improve the quality of the people making inquires about adoption. The other trouble is that small fee's e.g. 50p-£1 cost quite a bit to process so probably aren't worth the extra admin involved and larger fees like £5 would put people off. I could maybe plug making a donation more when the general public ad/remove a rabbit though.

yep, I understand the process cost for smaller amounts but to be honest, I do not see a problem with £5.00 being too large, lets face it, you cannot buy a decent bra or pack of razors for that these days. Advertising in local papers probably costs more than that :wink: :lol:

Tamsin said:
I'd love to set up a 'rehoming service' where they pay to have someone vet homes and organise the adoption. BUT the organisation, legal stuff and areas involved make it a bit too impractical I think. Maybe a network of RR fosterers will happen sometime in the future ;)

what legalalities are you talking about :?: If jo blogs wishes to purchase out of an ad for a dining room suit or pick up a free shed but the buyer must dismantle and collect themselves, then that is on their head :wink: or, what about when people go and view a property that they may be interested in :wink:

If you are talking public liability here, for what reason would this be required :?:

Depending on what funds were raised through such a scheme, it could be classed as a business but it depends if it is a non-profit organised business :wink:

There is always the worry that people wouldn't then put their buns on here and just go for freeads, because why pay to advertise when you can do it for free. I knopw decent people wouldn't mind paying, but what about the people who don't care?

It would concern me with buns like this little fellow....

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=25691&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

He was left behind when the neighbours moved, what if everyone thought just leave him, if they had to pay to find him a hone if you know what I mean.

valid point Tree :wink: :lol: :lol: what about a voluntary contribution :?: as you say, people who care would opt for that :wink:

Back