• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is having 3 rabbits very different to 2?

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
I'm picking up a female baby mini-rex to bond with Molly (hopefully) on the 14th of this month. :lol: My neighbour however has 2 does left in her accidental litter and has just been round to get the number for the rescue I looked into and keeps on hinting for me to get one.

I know the babies would probably bond ok, but would it be really difficult to bond two to Molly in a few weeks time?

Is three house rabbits way more trouble?

etc etc.

Tell me I'm being terribly unrealistic someone, please? :p

If they bond then it would be great - there is no reason why you shouldn't try but do be prepared for it to fail. Bonding just two is hard enough! three bunnies together aren't too much more work than two but three separate bunnies or a two and a single would be. And as for them being house bunnies it depends on their characters - some buns seem suited to a life as a house bun, others are very naughty and destructive (just ask Tree about Beatrix!!). It will all depend on the bunnies so I wouldn't make any permenant plans until they are bonded!!

I dont really know but i would think it would be easier to bond 3 together all at the same time rather than what im about to do.. add one new one to a bonded pair... i could be totally wrong tho cos ive never tried either yet :?
The only problem with trying one of the babies now is she wont be spayed so could be more hormonal/territorial and cause problems with the other two :?

Eep, it's such a dilema, just when i thought i'd made up my mind.

I'd probably bond the two girls, then when Molly's 6 weeks from being neutered is up I'd bond them all together? My other neighbour has two medium sized dog crates I can have.

I've referred her to the rescue I was looking to adopt from, but the rabbit had babies, so I feel like if i could feasibly take one it would be the right thing to do. The neighbour babies are house buns at the moment.

I don't want to end up with 3 single rabbits though.

I don't think that would be the case, my only concern is when the other 2 reach puberty and need neutering as that is when fighting begins of they are same sex and a bond could be broke.

I think if you try to introduce them one on one first and get them all happy with each other in different pairs before you try all 3 together as it's possible a natural bond between 2 will occur and 1 just won't bond or all 3 couldd bond easily with each other but when you put them together there will be some domestics in sorting out a hierachy.

It's alwasy difficult and as you know I am having a few issues. I am trying to bond them separately so when they all go together they know each other.

But be prepared that one may not get on with the others and may have to be separated as I am doing with Homer. Always a good excuse to get bun no.4!!

Thanks for all your replies so far. I need to decide by tonight. mer. Anyone have any experience with babies growing up to fight. I've had two sisters before and they were never neutered and didn't fight. But i know it happens.

Back