• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

U/D.. Bugsy lost his battle RIP my baby

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Bugsy has looked a little odd in face shape recently... I checked under his jaw tonight and there is a lump on the left hand side, under the bone. It does appear to be mobile. Just my luck to find it this late at night. Will take him to the vets in the morning. Just really worried after the events with rabbits in this house this week. Plus with Bugsy being 8.......

That it's movable is a very good sign :) Abcesses on the jaw bone would usually be a hard lump actually attached to the bone and not moveable. It's possible he had a little cut that got infected and caused an abcess unrelated to the bone.

Been to vets and Bugsy has an absess. He's booked in for operation tomorrow, however age and anasthetic are concerning. Should i put him through it or leave it and see what happens?

What do you feel honestly?

If you have a nagging feeling that something isn't right, apart from the inevitable worry, then don't do it.

Go with your gut feeling

I'm sorry to here about Bugsy.

What did the vets say his chances were if he had surgery? And how long would he live and feel comfortable without surgery?

Is the abcess in his bone? Or would they find that out tomorrow?

catswhiskas said:
Been to vets and Bugsy has an absess. He's booked in for operation tomorrow, however age and anasthetic are concerning. Should i put him through it or leave it and see what happens?

Isn't there a risk it could spread if left untreated? Might be best to deal with it straight away, but there's people on here that know way more than me. I'd PM Jack's Jane.

Which vets do you use?
Do you trust them? And how experienced are they with bunnies? are the questions I'd be asking. ALso, how healthy is Bugsy, apart from the abcess.
Let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Well, Bugsy is now dribbling and unable to eat. Even his favourite treats won't tempt him. They won't know whether it has gone into the bone, but it looks unlikely luckily. However if untreated she said it may spread. He is not in bad condition and is a little low in himself but not too bad. In view of that fact that he is now dribbling and not eating, I will take him for the pre op appointment and take it from there. Got a lot of questions to ask. Not doing anything until I get him checked again and have things laid on the line to me.

Well Vet has just rung. They have managed to remove the capsule in full. He is just coming round from the op. She said he is responsive and is lifting his head. He is staying in over night. I am to ring later to chk his progress. What you guys think?

Sounds very positive!! :thumb:
As long as there is no tooth root/ boney involvement and the entire capsule was removed he should be fine :D
These oldies are tougher than we think!!
Janex

Back