• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

flystrike??

Dobbin

Mama Doe
You can tell i am perfectly new to this can't you?!

What is this? and what can i do to prevent Dobbin from getting it.

Sue
xx

P.S i am so sorry for all the questions - i hope i am not being annoying.

Hello. No worries, you will soon know everything there is to know. :). Flystrike is when flies lay eggs which turn to maggots and get into bunny, usually in his bottom. Its usually fatal :(. You can prevent it by making sure he's in clean surroundings, no sticky bottoms. Check his bottom regularly and try and put fly nets or whatever around the hutch Xx

Dobbin said:
oh my goodness - this is a bit worrying. Is it a common condition?

Sue
x

I'd say yes to be honest. There are lots of people on here (myself included) who have lost buns to flystrike, and if they havent they are very likely to know someone who has :( xx

I lost my beautiful Nougat to flystrike last year. Devestating.
Make sure your bun is not overweight, can clean itself properly and is not producing excess caecotrophs (the squishy, smelly poos that they eat). Good housekeeping is important too, and I use Dyna-mite (do a search - you'll find out where to get it from) which is a natural fly deterrent.

If you ever do find your bun has maggots in it's bottom, you need ot get them to a vet asap. Don't submerge the rabbit in water (they used to recommend this to remove some of the maggots) as it prevents the hair being shaved when at the vets and slows things down.

You can also get rearguard a product from the vets that will help deter them if you're worried.

You can buy Rearguard at your vets to use on your bun to deter the flys. If i remember rightly its £13 ish (may depend on your vets) Best to use this between april and october. :)

flystrike

I get Zenex on presciption from the vet its not much £2.50 per vial.You put on depending the weight because my buns a giant i use the full vial every two weeks.Its basically cost me £15 for the full summer !! - well worth it.

Re: flystrike

pixie said:
I get Zenex on presciption from the vet its not much £2.50 per vial.You put on depending the weight because my buns a giant i use the full vial every two weeks.Its basically cost me £15 for the full summer !! - well worth it.

What is this and what does it do? I use rearguard for what I would call my high risk buns, but it works out expensive.

Hi
I've got some Xenex for my beloveds. Mine is a spot on treatment. Its full name is xenex Ultra spot on. It is an insecticide which kills fleas, mites, ticks, lice and flies. Also supposed to repel flies which cause fly strike. The dosage depends on the weight of the animal, so you must follow instructions closely. Also not good to use if your pets come into contact with cats as it is toxic to them. Xenex covers them for 2 weeks.
A 12 week pack cost me £19 from my vets.

I also have xenex spray which is a long lasting flea tick and louse repellent. This is free from chemical insecticides. Makes the animal coat appear greasy, which means that fly eggs cannot attach. Both products are made by Genitrix.

Hope this helps.

bonniebunny

Back