• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

heat - please please help.

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Hi

My bunny is kept in the shed, at the moment he is out in the run in the shade, the problem is we are both at work all day tommorrow, well every day, apart from weekends and i am so worried about him getting to hot. What do people think of this plan:

We will put him in the kitchen, lino floor, in his run with food and water and a few toys. Chris has just popped off to buy a couple of ceramic tiles - taking all your advice - thanku. I think i will try freezing the water to. Do you think this is a good idea? What do you think else i should put in the run?

I am so worried - please help.

Sue
xx

try empty 500ml coke bottles etc and filling them with water freezing them and putting them in the run.... hmmm but your ideas sound good so far!

Hi Su

If you also take into account how much sun gets into the kitchen throughout the day. You could keep the curtains/blinds closed if your kitchen gets a lot of sun.
It sounds like you are doing everything possible to help keep your Bunny cool.

Janex

Sounds like a good plan as long as your kitchen doesn't get direct sun like Jane said. I would probably also add a cardboard box or pet carrier or similar, so that your bun has somewhere to retreat to and 'feel safe'.

Sounds like you've got it sorted. :D

Mine have a fan on all day too, they seem to like to sit in front of it, so if you're still concerned you could try that too. I've put mine on a timer plug so its on during most of the day and goes on for 15mins off for 15 mins all night.

You know, in Asia, they said watermelon eaten by human during the summer counter the heat wave. So it's not just another fruit, it's the nature of watermelon that's good for human.

I accidentally notice my rabbit share the above view the other night. :lol:

Another trick: fan--turns it on during the day, especially in the afternoon. turns it off at night time. Even better, get a silence fan if it is around the same price. They lasts for many years anyway.

Jazz has tiles and frozen water bottle so he can lie next to itif he wants (he doesent normally) he is also in the shade.

your plan sounds great :)

Good Plan!!

I have just had a discussion with my boyfriend about making sure the bunnies are cool.

Fan on, lots of water, shade and frozen bottles!!

well it has been two days and he seems fine so i think all the good advice is really paying off - thank u. Thats from me and Dobbin.

Sue
xx

if it is too hot (and it's very hot over here too), let the tap water run for 1 min., feel the cooler water come out, and change the bowl of water to the cooler water every few hours. That's what I'm doing over here.

I wrote the above in another thread, but it's more appropriate to write it here.

Back