• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

any advice please?!

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Hello

As you may know from my introduction post i have my first rabbit - he is so gorgeous - well i think so!! Anyway he is a bit nervous at the moment, he does appear to be getting better around me, i was just wondering if this will get better over time and if i need to give it time? Should i keep going back today about once an hour and pick him up for a cuddle or just leave him alone? HE is much better and being picked then when i first got him home yesterday morning. Sorry i know this is probably a very stupid question.

Any tips and advice for my bunny would be hugely appreciated - concerning anything, cos as i say this is my first rabbit!

Thank you very much in advance.

Sue
xx

Take it slowly, but don't leave him to get unhandlable. Take him a treat and feed it to him when he's sat on your lap so he associates you with nice things. Increase the time you pick him up gradually and talk to him while you do it so he gets used to your voice.

Hiya, good advice there. Just try sitting with him, and letting him come to you, then give him some food and stroke his head whilst he's eating it. He will get better around you, but most bunnies don't like being picked up. All of mine come for nose rubs though and like a fuss (on their terms of course!)

I take a book into the run/room and sit and read, they're so nosey, they'll want the attanetion even if they're nervous, they'll also want to chew the book so manke sure it's not one you like lol. Even my most nervous buns have come over for a look whilest I do this, ignoring them is something they can't handle lol!

Back