• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PIGEON FOR HAPPY HOPPING...updated with a story!!!

Marlene

Mama Doe
Here you go....babies

DSC07196.jpg

DSC07389.jpg

And then

c4137f21.jpg

Sorry Marlene I had to have a peek :oops: I have never seen a baby Pigeon. Oh my what funny ickle birds they are :lol:

Janex

Peek if you like Jane :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:

Here they are at the other side of the house...wild bunnies are not allowed on here :lol:

DSC07247.jpg

and out for their fly

DSC00079.jpg

Amazing piccies!! Do they ALWAYS come home? I am sure I'd fret endlessly that one would get lost :oops: :roll:

Janex

They do mostly Jane ....no one is really sure how or why although there many theories. Ian will look for a bird for hours and hours and then of course you never know if it has been taken by a hawk or whatever. Sometimes one will come back after a day or so.

A while back I read how a Pigeon had flown off course and hitched a ride on a Ferry. Ended up in some obscure Eastern European Country :shock:
Hope he uses the RAC Route-Finder next time :lol:

Janex

They do that Jane...Ian used to be the contact for all the birds who landed up on a rig in the North Sea.

RAC route finder...one theory is that the birds follow the roads.....saying nowt as I don't know but then who does :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:

Hehe I always did think baby pigeons were strange. we had 2 born outside our office loo window in London a few years back.
And I have to say.. boy were they ugly as fist borns! :lol:

That gras pad must look like a landing heli pad to the pigeons.. id be so tempted to put lights on it :lol:

Sorry.. They do look like cool birds to own though. My mum bred budgies when I was growing up and they had a big aivery and shed but it must be nice to let them fly freely and know that they will come home.

I agree they are not pretty babies but so ugly they are cute!! They have the most peculiar smell also, I can't describe it but I love snuggling them under my nose.

Here is Ian anxiously looking for his babies

DSC07301-1.jpg

This was yesterday in the pouring rain and they all stood like little soldiers preening and having a shower :lol:

DSC07342.jpg

You can see part of the bottom floor here. this is not the usual pigeon loft, most are like big garden sheds.

This is so goofy, I never have time to visit this sub-forum. I usually just go to General Chat and Rabbit Care, I'll visit this sub-forum more often.

Are these babies from the wild? Or did you buy them?

The babies are bred by Ian which he loves to do and is so very good at rearing a beautiful baby. They are racing pigeons and get all his TLC :lol:

I am curious, how do you find the baby pigeon in the first place? Did he go to some breeder and buy it from them?

And what about all those big pigeon on the roof? Are those all yours?

On an unrelated matter, one of my lovebird that I had years ago used to have one of those metal band around her legs. There is a loose 1 mm gap all the way around, so it's a loose fit.

She had it for years, not a problem, then 1 day, she start biting the metal ring. And it went on for weeks. So I took her to the vet and remove that band, turns out somehow, there is swelling and red scratches behind the inner ring diameter. And yet for many years before that, it was just fine. Did you guys have any problems w/ those rings/band?

Back