• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

protect your babies from the heat!! PLEASE

JIMGRACIE

Mama Doe
Okay, today has been sooooo very hot, and tomorrow is going to be even worse, apparently!!

I even brought Maya into the kitchen today, as he was really panting when i got home from work. He soon chilled out on the kitchen floor.

My Donnie piggy just gets an ice pack with no tea towel wrapped round it as he hides under anything he can!!

Please everyone keep an eye on your buns, (and other animals). I lost a piggy two summers ago through heat stroke.

I was really worrying about the heat and my buns today :shock: Even my mum said it was too hot and she's addicted to sun! :shock: They did have ice packs... if it's going to be hotter tomorrow I think I'll bring them inside all day to be on the safe side.

Mine are inside but it's still too hot. My poor Chinchilla feels it the most :cry: he's really not designed for this climate.
You can get those tiles ( chin chillars) and store them in the fridge for bunnies, piggies and chins to sleep on.
I'm thinking of getting an air cooler from argos for my little family.

sparklefairy said:
I'm thinking of getting an air cooler from argos for my little family.

That sounds like a good idea :D I'd get one but I have no money at the moment :cry:

Im so lucky mine are in a part of the garden that has shade ALL day and as they are on paving slabs the ground/foor stays cool too.

I just freeze a bottle of water and place it in the hutch. They lick it and lie beside it to keep them cool! :!:

mtoyah said:
I just freeze a bottle of water and place it in the hutch. They lick it and lie beside it to keep them cool! :!:

Yeah I want to do that! Cheap and easy :D My mum has filled the freezer up so much I can't even fit a water bottle in there! :roll: :roll:

The rediculous thing is Guineas come from a hot country! Silly things. I gave my long haired Guinea a big hair cut to make him feel a bit better, and they're in the shade. I put the watering can over the grass to cool the run down and make sure it's always covered.

I have a fan for my guinea pigs. They're getting on now so I worry about them in the heat. I give my buns a damp towel and I gave them a bowl of ice cubes yesterday which they loved. My buns and pigs have a parasol each too.

I have the fan on my pair and rudy has the chin stone thing - he's not too bothered with it though and soph doesn't have anything on the bottom of her dog crate so its nice and cool anyway.

The heat is a worry though :(

I'm really worried about my kits the does hutch with a run attachment is on concrete so she keeps cool but the kits are only just opening there eyes and so can't get out of nest yet any ideas how I can keep them cool? Do you think it would be ok to move the hutch into the kitchen where its going to be cooler? Its going to be so hot tomorrow and the following day it may reach 34 degrees down here i'm so worried all the rest will be able to be kept cool its just the kits i'm worried about.
Will frozen water bottles wrapped in a blanket work do you think?

Back