• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio bonding problems

mtoyah

Warren Scout
I have just got a rabbit (Homer) who I am trying to bond with my male (Twix) and female (Smudge). The female has spent the last few days chasing him and pulling out his fur :shock: but Twix hasn't been bothered. He sniffs him and doesn't chase him.

However I took them all to my boyfriend's last night -neutral territory- and she still chased him. Even though they were fine in the carrier and she licked his ear!

This morning Twix has now got in on the act but he is worse, he leapt at him growling like a dog teeth bared and claws out. :cry:

I don't know what to do as Homer is now terrified and runss at full sspedd away and he stampss his foot like mad and grunts whenever they come near but he has never had a go at them.

I've kept them split up and intend to do so now. But I would like it if in the futuree they could be together.

Can anyone help? Has anyone else had this problem? It's so distrssing for Homer and I can't believe how territorial they have become.

They are all neutered and about the same age and I have done the netral teerritory thing in new places, the bath tub, the car evrything! But it is getting worse rather than better as she is starting to properly bite now even when I'm holding him. Twix had a go wwhilst I was holding him on the floor too.

If there is no blood being drawn and it's just a bit of fur pulling I would say go with it still. You know your buns best call a hault if he seems very distressed. :D

How should I approach this now?

I think if I hadn't moved Homer out of the way there would have been blood shed by Twix. I don't understand how he has suddenly turned!!

Should I let Homer get a bit mor confident? Or just continue as I have?

If you have tried all the neutral territory places and they still aren't getting on then I would just accept they don't like each other :(
I tried introducing a girl bun to a girl boy couple and the two girls hated each other. One of them lost a piece of her ear in a fight so i never tried again. I just decided to get another boy bunny and keep the two pairs separate. I hate to see them fighting :(

Oh dear :cry: I tried a trio bonding and most people here will know how horribly wrong it went :shock: I introduced a new boy to my bonded pair. He was in an indoor cage in their room to get used to the sight and smell of him but my bonded pair turned against each other and ripped each other to shreads :shock: :shock: :cry: I had to arange a foster home for new bun :cry: but my bonded pair are friends again now :D
Some people here have sucsessfully bonded a trio, but I don't think I will ever try it again :(
Good luck and I hope others here will be able to help you.

Thansk for your advice!!

I thinkI am going to givee them all some space then try again at the weekend once they adapt to him being around.

He came out of himself lasst night and bunkied everywhere, and kept hopping on the sofa for a ffuss then hopping off again! Bless :D

I am prepared to have him permanently indoors if need be and I did have my eye on another girl bun that could be his friend. So I will see, depends on how my flatmate would feel about a 4th bun!! Yikes!

aawww sorry to hear you are having problems. Im going to be trying this soon too.. introducing a female to my male/female pair. They have been living in penned off areas side by side for about 3 days now to get them used to each others smells... i will wait at least one week, possibly 2 weeks more to try bonding them together on neutral territory. When i first let my pair near fifi's cage, Nala (female) kept charging at the bars as if she was trying to attack her.. however she now just sits and watches her, so fingers crossed by the time i try them together they will be used to each other and not fight too much

Best of luck!!

I think maybe putting them out in two seperate garden runs so they can realise what is going on or maybe some other neuteral territory indoors like a spare room or bathroom.

Back